Windows 8 Replacing corrupt Windows 8 system files on external hard drive

Beyonce

About a few months ago my laptop crashed only to greet me with a blue screen. I called someone in to fix the problem, they ran virus programs etc... etc.... Told me my last resort was to reset my computer, I completely shut that idea down because of all my work, music , project, and video files on my hard drive. I copied everything over to an external hard drive. Recently I got a new laptop and would like to transfer my mirror(external hard drive) over to my new laptops hard drive. But again the system files on the mirror are corrupt. Before my laptop crashed my audio, mic and video were not working. So I took a look and all of my windows services were not operating (I disabled a few previously for speed purposes), then I re-enabled them all (stupidly, I was panicking in the moment) after I restarted my laptop... to my dismay I was faced with the blue screen of death. I want to keep my programs, app data, and all of my personal files. How would I go about finding out the error with the system files from here and reinstating my mirror on my new laptop?

+Just mention what information you need, and I won't hesitate to provide it!

Edit: There is a minidump file with all of the info on the error. When I get home I'll pull it from my external hard drive.

Last edited:
Hi I'm going to attempt to reply to your issue! I think you are saying you have data stored on a external drive and you want to recover it.
Are you saying the files and data on the external drive are corrupt? I don't know why you want to recover corrupted data!!
How are you trying to copy this to your new lap top. What do you mean the files are corrupt! You may get more replies from other members latter.
PS Welcome to the forum!;)

Hi I'm going to attempt to reply to your issue! I think you are saying you have data stored on a external drive and you want to recover it.
Are you saying the files and data on the external drive are corrupt? I don't know why you want to recover corrupted data!!
How are you trying to copy this to your new lap top. What do you mean the files are corrupt! You may get more replies from other members latter.
PS Welcome to the forum!;)
Hi, Thank you for replying! And thank you for the warm welcome! All the files are working fine:) My system is what is 'corrupt', I had no access to my desktop and I want to fix that. The reason I can't get my mirror copied over properly is because of the bsod. If I copy it over as is I am going to have the same problem I did before I moved everything to the external hard drive. To prevent that I want to find out the problem before hand, or just replace the core system files entirely. I honestly don't know if that's possible, but I started a thread just to see. Any recommendation on what to do are greatly appreciated!

+ I copied over my mirror to an external hard drive so I could have access to my files.

Your welcome. I'm not tuned into what you're calling a mirror copy. Are we talking about a image or a clone of a OS?
What operating system W7 W8 W10. You posted this in the W8 section, so I'm assuming we're talking W8.
So you have a PC with W8 and you want copy a mirror image to that PC. How did you create this image?
Did you use a 3rd party image program? If you did then the image will be exactly like it was when you created the image. If the image was corrupt, then that's the way will restore; if it will restore at all!
I hope I'm making sense. Maybe other members will see your thread and reply! We have some smart techs here and I'm really not grasping exactly what you're attempting to accomplish!

Hi Maybe you're saying you have a mirrored OS on a internal drive and are calling it a external drive. If you mirrored or cloned a drive that was corrupt, then that's the way it will restore. It will be exactly like is was when you cloned or mirrored the OS.
I know of no way to correct the mirror (Clone):( before restoring it!

Recently I got a new laptop and would like to transfer my mirror(external hard drive) over to my new laptops hard drive. But again the system files on the mirror are corrupt.
this will not work

It may be possible to recover some of the data from the drive with a skilled hacker but thats not something that you should try on your own mate... if you insist then make a good backup of your new system first using Acronis (or some free software that can boot from the images it makes... DON'T just use the windows backup software!) then get a cradle to attach your other drive and see if windows can detect any thing on it.

Hi Maybe you're saying you have a mirrored OS on a internal drive and are calling it a external drive. If you mirrored or cloned a drive that was corrupt, then that's the way it will restore. It will be exactly like is was when you cloned or mirrored the OS.
I know of no way to correct the mirror (Clone):( before restoring it!
I completely understand that, maybe I shouldn't have used the term "corrupted". I cloned everything from my old laptop to my new external hard drive. Partitions everything, I connected it using a sata cord and created the clone. Should I instead of trying to fix the problem before I run the clone on my laptop, just try to deal with the bsod?

this will not work

It may be possible to recover some of the data from the drive with a skilled hacker but thats not something that you should try on your own mate... if you insist then make a good backup of your new system first using Acronis (or some free software that can boot from the images it makes... DON'T just use the windows backup software!) then get a cradle to attach your other drive and see if windows can detect any thing on it.
I am so sorry for the confusion, my files are all working fine, I think my misuse of the word 'corrupt' is leading go all of this confusion. I don't want to have to deal with the bsod when I put the clone on my new hdd. What should I do to avoid that?

+Thank you so much for your help!!

Hi Thanks for helping @ussnorway ;) As explained by ussnorway, It won't work. The clone will only work on the PC that you created the clone for. It would have to be the exact same model PC for it to work. I'm still confused as to what you're trying to do.
You can not put the cloned drive on a different PC. You can not put the clone on your new HDD. As stated by ussnorway, it's possible to recover some of the data from the clone with a docking station. I use a docking cable. What are you wanting from the clone? Pictures, documents, music, ect! Sorry I just don't understand what you're trying to do
51JaBg1aQuL._AC_US160_.jpg

Hi Thanks for helping @ussnorway ;) As explained by ussnorway, It won't work. The clone will only work on the PC that you created the clone for. It would have to be the exact same model PC for it to work. I'm still confused as to what you're trying to do.
You can not put the cloned drive on a different PC. You can not put the clone on your new HDD. As stated by ussnorway, it's possible to recover some of the data from the clone with a docking station. I use a docking cable. What are you wanting from the clone? Pictures, documents, music, ect! Sorry I just don't understand what you're trying to do
51JaBg1aQuL._AC_US160_.jpg
Thank you! Now that I understand that. I guess the right question is how do I move over all of my personal data(appdata, music, programs) over to my new system. I really don't want to leave anything behind and I have files all over the place.
+Should I delete this thread and start a new one?

Hi If you are using a laptop, you will need some kind of docking devise. I use the cable I posted in my screen shot!
There are all kinds of devices. It really depends on the drive you are trying to retrieve the data from.
See if this helps!

Back
Top Bottom