Reset DFSR

Gimbo58

I need reset DFSR on windows 2016 std replicated with a windows 2012 std
It's really slow, it's working since 5 years and the db probably is too large

How can I reset it without loose everything?

To reset DFSR (Distributed File System Replication) on Windows Server 2016, you can follow these steps:

1. Pause Replication: Before making any changes, you should pause the replication process to avoid any conflicts. To pause replication, open the DFS Management console, navigate to the Replication section, right-click on the replication group, and select "Pause Replication."

2. Back Up Data: It's always essential to back up your data before making any changes. Ensure that you have a recent backup of the data on both the Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 servers.

3. Remove Replication: Once replication is paused and you have backed up your data, you can proceed to remove the replication group. In the DFS Management console, right-click on the replication group, select "Delete," and confirm the action.

4. Clear the Staging Folder: The staging folder on the Windows Server 2016 server might contain files that were not replicated due to various issues. To clear this folder, navigate to the DFSR private folder, which is typically located at `C:\Windows\Sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog`, and delete the content inside.

5. Restart the DFSR Service: Open the Services console and restart the DFS Replication service on both the Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 servers. This step ensures a fresh start for the DFSR process.

6. Recreate Replication: In the DFS Management console, recreate the replication group, specifying the folders to replicate and the servers to be part of the replication group. Monitor the replication progress to ensure everything is functioning correctly.

Remember to carefully monitor the replication and validate that all files are being replicated successfully after resetting DFSR. Additionally, ensure that you have enough resources (disk space, network bandwidth, etc.) to handle the replication workload, as a large database can impact performance.

If you are uncertain about the process or concerned about data loss, it is always advisable to consult with an experienced IT professional or contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. Backup your data thoroughly before proceeding with any changes.

I need reset DFSR on windows 2016 std replicated with a windows 2012 std
It's really slow, it's working since 5 years and the db probably is too large

How can I reset it without loose everything?
Thank you for letting us know about this. Could you please explain with more infomation, several paragraphs, full words, and screenshots about your problem, thank you.

Back