Windows 7 Restore to XP

xceph

Hi, I upgraded from XP and am having some crippling problems that I cannot deal with, so I was wondering if there is a built in restore to previous OS option? I have noticed there is a windows.old folder, with my previous installation, so can I revert to that, or do I have to reinstall XP manually?

I may be wrong but i do not beleive that you can restore to XP if you chose the upgrade option, running W7 in Microsoft Virtual Machine was the way to go in order to check for any system issues before making any decisions to upgrade or another choice would have been to install W7 on it's own partition. You may need to re-install manually, but like i said i could be wrong.

As stated by Moosetek13 you will have to reinstall XP manually... and do remember to back up all your personal files before doing so. Just some advice for future installs. It's always a good idea to either use a Virtual Machine (as suggested previously) or create a seperate partition on your hard drive for the new OS install (space permitting of course). That way if such issues arise you won't have to manually reinstall the good working OS. ;) Also remember Windows 7 is still in BETA stages which is why it's good to make sure your comfortable dealing with Beta software before testing it and take the neccessary precautions before installing it... ;) But don't get discouraged.. If you still want to try out Windows 7 after you reinstall XP you could do so in a virtual machine or by use of a new partition.. there are many guides/tips on here that can help you through either of those processes, and as always we're here to help too! :)

thanks for the suggestions, I had already backed up any information previous to install, and I was going to start with a fresh install regardless, was hoping to use 7 on my desktop (been using it for a while on my laptop already), but I am having serious graphical and monitor issues, so I have to head back to xp for now!

thanks for the suggestions, I had already backed up any information previous to install, and I was going to start with a fresh install regardless, was hoping to use 7 on my desktop (been using it for a while on my laptop already), but I am having serious graphical and monitor issues, so I have to head back to xp for now!

Probably a silly question, but did you check with the monitor manufacture and vid card manufacture for updated drivers?

I'd hate to see you ditch it so soon, but if you insist, please visit this site for step-by-step details regarding uninstalling Windows 7 with virtual PC.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Im still using (and loving) on my laptop, however my desktop has one to many bugs that need to be sorted out! Mostly due to my dual monitor setup it seems!

Im still using (and loving) on my laptop, however my desktop has one to many bugs that need to be sorted out! Mostly due to my dual monitor setup it seems!

I've got dual monitors on my desktop and Win7 works fine with the nVidia Win7 beta drivers available from the Windows Update service.

Win 7 nVidia beta drivers from Windows Update service seemed to work fine on my system, however after installing games such as COD4 it became apparent that there where issues with the beta from Windows Update. This was corrected by downloading drivers for Vista.

I am using Win 7 64bit and some of my system components are:
AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.20 GHz
4.00 GB Memory
EVGA Geforce 260 Superclocked Video Card

Win 7 nVidia beta drivers from Windows Update service seemed to work fine on my system, however after installing games such as COD4 it became apparent that there where issues with the beta from Windows Update. This was corrected by downloading drivers for Vista.

I am using Win 7 64bit and some of my system components are:
AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.20 GHz
4.00 GB Memory
EVGA Geforce 260 Superclocked Video Card

I had issues with COD4 with the Microsoft Vista nVidia drivers as well. I downloaded and installed the Vista 64 drivers from Dell and COD4 work normally. Dell has modified it' nVidia chip cards. The only dirvers that are guaranteed to work are the Dell drivers.

What i meant is that Windows 7 64 bit is not 100% at this time but when it is released it will be one of the best Operating Systems yet released.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of software support for 64 bit, but in time there will be.

I don't know where you heard this from... but there is ALOT more 64 bit support than there was even just a year ago.. I have 64 bit Windows 7 and Vista installed on 2 seperate PC's and have had no problems at all finding drivers or support for them.. ;) 64 Bit IS the here and now of computing in my opinion.. :) I will agree with you though on the comment that there will be more support for it in the coming months than there currently is... but I still think there's lots of it now..

I don't know where you heard this from... but there is ALOT more 64 bit support than there was even just a year ago.. I have 64 bit Windows 7 and Vista installed on 2 seperate PC's and have had no problems at all finding drivers or support for them.. ;) 64 Bit IS the here and now of computing in my opinion.. :) I will agree with you though on the comment that there will be more support for it in the coming months than there currently is... but I still think there's lots of it now..

I must agree 100%. When XP64 first came on the scene getting driver support was very difficult. However, that was then and this is now. 64bit computing is the wave of the future and before we know it we won't remember what a 32bit OS was.

I've run Win7 64 on my labtop and desktop and have had no problem with drivers at all. In fact, with just a couple of minor exceptions, Win7 64 had the necessary drivers included.

Win7 is on track to be a really solid OS on day one. I think now is the time for folk to start the move to 64bit.

Back