Windows 7 Restoring system from image backup

Marco555

Is there any way to restore a system image to a new SMALLER drive than that from which it was created, even though the image size is much smaller than the new drive? According to the help file it's not possible. Is there a work around?

Maybe I could copy the files across then do a system repair. Any ideas?

Thanks. I should have thought about using different software. It's the obvious solution. But I'm disappointed that Windows 7 couldn't do the job. I've tried it before and it works well.... but I don't understand why a 25 Gig image shouldn't go on to a 150 Gig hard drive.

You post is a little confusing. I assume you are using the Windows Backup and Restore to make an image?

Does the 25 gig reference mean the size of a partition?

If you have a lot of empty room in a partition, you could shrink it with Disk Management prior to making the image. I do not know how much you can shrink it, but maybe defragging prior would help.

The Size of the Image file is 25 gigs. The hard drive was 200 Gigs. The new hard drive is 150 Gigs.

But thanks to your post it's clear what I need to do - Partition the 200 Gig to 150 Gigs or smaller, re- image, then install the new drive which I then should be able to restore to.

Thank you

The Size of the Image file is 25 gigs. The hard drive was 200 Gigs. The new hard drive is 150 Gigs.

But thanks to your post it's clear what I need to do - Partition the 200 Gig to 150 Gigs or smaller, re- image, then install the new drive which I then should be able to restore to.

Thank you

I'm in the same boat apparently. So I need to reimage from a partition that's smaller than the new drive? I can't figure out why my attempts to restore from an image (it's Win 7 to Win 7) won't work and the error message doesn't mention this. I'll give this a try.

Windows creates an image using the exact parameters for the drive or partition imaged. You can put it back on a larger partition, but not smaller.

If your drive is larger, you should have no problems. If the partition is not what you want after you restore the image, use Disk Management to change the size of the partition.

For example, I moved a 75 G partition from a 250 G drive to a 75 G partition on a 500 G drive. I then extended the 75 G partition to 150 G, no problem.

I just thought I'd mention that shrinking the partition on my old 250GB drive to 130 GB worked perfectly in restoring onto a 150GB drive. My new drive is a WD Velociraptor (still not officially supported, though the 300GB model is) and the combination of Windows 7 with a speedy HD is very nice!

Back
Top Bottom