Windows 10 Risks of aborting a windows 10 installation, reasons why it may be slow and ways to accelerate it

lnname

I have a high end laptop that began installing windows 10, just after midnight last night. Currently 13 hours later it is only at 8% complete. It began the installation without my permission (I am confused by why this happened) - and in an area where there was low wifi connectivity, although it is now sat next to the router.

Tomorrow I am going to need to take a train journey, and the laptop will need to be shut down and taken out of the wifi network.

What are the reasons a windows installation may be so slow? Is there any way to speed it up? What are the risks of turning it off?

It depends on how far along the upgrade has gotten… not very far by the sounds of it.

• If you shut it down (or it just times out) during the looking for updates faze then nothing bad should happen and it will just keep looking for a connection back to Microsoft until it gets all the patches.
  • However one of the last steps on a typical upgrade is to partition off about 20 g at the back of the c drive in order to hold a recovery image and yes shutting down the system unexpectedly during that phase can cause damage to the boot registry that results in a failed upgrade.

In any event the system is not going to be able to perform any useful functions until its all sorted out so I recommend leaving it behind.

Back