Windows 7 Safe Mode Problems with Win 7

Frelon

Hi

I am unable to boot (my Dell Studio 15 running Win 7) into Safe Mode using F8, however many times I try the PC still ignores my F8 presses and boots normally!

On one of the threads there is a warning that if you are having trouble entering Safe Mode via the F8 method you should not use the System Configuration Tool Method to force it to start up into Safe Mode.

Does anybody have any ideas about how I can get into Safe Mode so that I can get rid of Avast 5 using their removal tool? Better still to get my F8 key working as it should!!

I am not sure why, whoever would have said that. It is the way I normally choose, if I want to reboot into safe mode????
Msconfig - Bot tab.

Found this on Dell's pages
"1 Turn on the computer.
2 As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
Note:
You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
"

Hi RAK, and thanks.

The F8 way has always worked in the past. Please be aware that I have tried (many) times to press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. It just does not work! Go figure. That is why I am asking for an alternative method that works.
I am not sure why, whoever would have said that. It is the way I normally choose, if I want to reboot into safe mode????
Msconfig - Bot tab.

Found this on Dell's pages
"1 Turn on the computer.
2 As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
Note:
You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
"

Hi Captain, and thanks for your input.

Have tried this Method 2 in the tutorial and the PC starts to boot in Safe Mode (minimum of drivers etc and large display) and I get to my normal (enlarged) logon screen. However when I start to enter my normal password the PC then reboots before I can get to the 5th or 6th character of my password!! It loads all of the necessary files to enter Safe Mode and voila we arrive back at the logon screen again. If I ignore the password request I get an error message indication wrong logon and/or password!! Then recycles through the reboot again, and again. There seems to be no way to get past this Windows logon screen for the PC to enter real Safe Mode!!

OK next challenge is to get the PC back working normally and out of this cycle......1) Use Windows 7 Repair Disk - no success. No luck when launching Startup Repair, just goes back to Safe Mode cycle again when the repair has been attempted!! If I try System Restore to a time I knew the PC was OK, I get a message saying System Restore was successful and then the PC proceeds to boot back into the Safe Mode cycle - again!!

The only way to get the system back working normally has been to use Acronis True Image 2010 and recover the disk and partition to the last saved recovery files. I guess I am fortunate that I have this system available, but it seems to be very drastic.

Still trying to get rid of Avast 5, needless to say Avast have not been very helpful other than to say "Go into Safe Mode, and use our uninstall tool!"

Easier said than done!!

Hello !!

You might wanna try the Method 2 in this Tutorial Safe Mode - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Captain

Back