Windows 7 Sata HDD Recognised in Bios but not showing up in in device manager ect

nazstyle

Hey guys ^_^ this is my first post here. I was wondering if you could help me out.

I just installed a new HDD (Samsung 1.5TB Silencer Series 32M) today, when i was running windows 7 RC1 64bit just plugged it in and worked fine, formated it with device manager and the works. So, I coppied my important files from my main hard drive(Western Digital Velociraptor 300gig) onto the new one. Once that was done I did a fresh install of Windows 7 This time it was Ultimate 64 bit seeming I just bought it. When I went to install windows 7, it didnt show the new Hdd there but I thought what the heck, i was going to be installing it on my old HDD anyways. So, Ive now installed windows 7 but My second hard drive is no were to be found. Its showing up in Bios tho in sata port 9 where it is connected. but its not showing up anywhere else ? Thanks for your time ^_^

Naz

Im using a MSI eclipse Mobo, ATI 4870 x2 gig graphics card, intel core i7 920 2.66ghz 6gddr3 ram

Hey guys ^_^ this is my first post here. I was wondering if you could help me out.

I just installed a new HDD (Samsung 1.5TB Silencer Series 32M) today, when i was running windows 7 RC1 64bit just plugged it in and worked fine, formated it with device manager and the works. So, I coppied my important files from my main hard drive(Western Digital Velociraptor 300gig) onto the new one. Once that was done I did a fresh install of Windows 7 This time it was Ultimate 64 bit seeming I just bought it. When I went to install windows 7, it didnt show the new Hdd there but I thought what the heck, i was going to be installing it on my old HDD anyways. So, Ive now installed windows 7 but My second hard drive is no were to be found. Its showing up in Bios tho in sata port 9 where it is connected. but its not showing up anywhere else ? Thanks for your time ^_^

Naz

Im using a MSI eclipse Mobo, ATI 4870 x2 gig graphics card, intel core i7 920 2.66ghz 6gddr3 ram

I suspect that it is being hidden. Use Acronis or a similar drive manager to unhide it and you will see it in Windows 7.

Hi,

Hope you solve your problem with busydog's solution.

Sorry to go off topic although I do have a question related to the problem!
Busydog, I must say I have never come across this, do you know how/why drives get hidden?

It is easy to hide (maybe even accidentally) drives with Drive Management Utilities like Acronis, Paragon, et al. I triple-boot and deliberately hide the unused partitions with a utility called BootItNG (should have mentioned it above).

Does it show up in device manager? If so uninstall the SATA drivers for it and then click scan for hardware changes.
If that doesnt help, try a different SATA port and clear your CMOS. Its not coming up as Foreign Disk in disk management is it?

Have you tried in in another computer?

Could this happen with an eSATA drive as well? I'm having a similar problem... I"m not very technicall so pardon my lack of correct jargon and what not.

When I plug in the drive the computer recognizes that i've done this but it doesn't show up in my device manager or under "My Computer". Furthermore, when the drive is plugged in, my laptop stalls during shut down and start up. it only resumes when i unplug the drive.

I've tried:
re-installing the drivers.
scanning for hardware changes in device manager (Stalls when performed)

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Back