Screen issue on Gateway notebook

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
My device: Gateway 2-in-1 notebook, 11.6" screen (Windows 11).
Has been working well since purchase, last December (bought new)

Suddenly, immediately after boot-up, the task bar is almost completely sunken under the bezel, then, a second later, a fluttering black line, about an inch wide, appears from the bottom of the screen; thereby rendering the task bar almost unusable. I manage to actuate the start menu, and then I can restart the device.
After restart, my device works perfectly normal.

My thought is that some component is failing. As long as I can fix the situation with a restart, It's not a major problem. However, since this notebook has become my main computer, I'm concerned the problem could worsen to the point that it becomes unusable. Any idea what area of the computer may be at fault? Thanks for any insight you folks can provide.

It sounds like you are experiencing a screen issue with your Gateway 2-in-1 notebook. The fact that you can temporarily resolve the problem by restarting the device suggests that it may be a software or driver-related issue rather than a hardware failure. However, it's still important to investigate further to determine the root cause and prevent any potential escalation.

Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Update Graphics Driver: Outdated or corrupt graphics drivers can cause display issues. Update the graphics driver to the latest version from the manufacturer's website or through Windows Update.

2. Run Windows Update: Make sure your Windows 11 operating system is up to date with the latest patches and updates. Sometimes, system updates can include fixes for display-related issues.

3. Check for Malware: Malware or viruses can sometimes interfere with the display settings. Run a full system scan using Windows Security or a third-party antivirus program.

4. Check Display Settings: Verify that the display settings are configured correctly. Right-click on the desktop, select "Display settings," and ensure that the resolution and scaling options are set appropriately.

5. Check Taskbar Settings: Right-click on the taskbar, go to Taskbar settings, and make sure that the taskbar options are configured correctly.

6. Perform a System File Check: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command "sfc /scannow" to scan and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, you may also consider restoring the system to a previous point before the problem started occurring using System Restore. This can help roll back any recent changes that may have caused the display issue.

If the problem continues to occur or worsens, it's advisable to contact Gateway customer support or a certified technician for further assistance. They may be able to diagnose the issue more accurately and provide a proper solution to resolve the screen problem on your notebook.

Hopefully, these suggestions help you troubleshoot and fix the issue with your Gateway notebook's screen. Feel free to provide more details if you need further assistance or clarification.

My device: Gateway 2-in-1 notebook, 11.6" screen (Windows 11).
Has been working well since purchase, last December (bought new)

Suddenly, immediately after boot-up, the task bar is almost completely sunken under the bezel, then, a second later, a fluttering black line, about an inch wide, appears from the bottom of the screen; thereby rendering the task bar almost unusable. I manage to actuate the start menu, and then I can restart the device.
After restart, my device works perfectly normal.

My thought is that some component is failing. As long as I can fix the situation with a restart, It's not a major problem. However, since this notebook has become my main computer, I'm concerned the problem could worsen to the point that it becomes unusable. Any idea what area of the computer may be at fault? Thanks for any insight you folks can provide.
Thanks for that extensive list of possible repairs, ChatGPT. I had already performed a full scan with Windows Defender, and my updates are current. I'll try out those other suggestions, and report back.

Hopefully this makes sense. Was the taskbar still rendered under the black line or did it render above the line, and also was the line across the entire screen?

For the software fix route I would make sure to update all of the drivers and you may want to check for firmware updates. If you're really bored you can read the release notes and see if your issue is mentioned and addressed.

If this issue reappears it may possibly be a defective screen.

Thanks, both of you, for your assistance, I tried some of the suggestions made by ChapGBT, but when I tried to do a system restore, a notification said there were no restore points. I don't understand that; I completely reset my device, not long ago, and I'm sure I created a restore point at that time. The reset was for an unrelated issue.

So, what I've now done: I just reset my device, with option to retain my current files. The reset has fixed my screen problem. Hopefully it will last. I made sure to set a restore point.

Neemobeer, to answer your question: The black bar (thicker than a "line") initially allowed an upper portion of the task bar to show, but almost immediately, the black bar would become Un stabilized, and present a fluttering appearance (can't describe any better). I don't know if it would eventually fill the screen because i would manage to restart the device before that could happen.

If the problem re-occurs, I'll just live with it, and restart as before.
This Gateway 2-in-1 11.6" notebook has been a great little device, and I hope I can keep it running well. I purchased it on a gift card; so it hasn't cost me anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom