Windows 7 screen resolution

generalwhite

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate RC to Windows 7 Ultimate full version. However, after I finished the installation, I can't get my screen resolution to go higher than 1024 x 768. However, on the RC, I had my resolution at 1280 x 800, which is what I'm used to, and I can not change my resolution back.

Do I need to upgrade a driver or something? Maybe uncheck a box somewhere? I am clueless with this sort of thing, please help me out if anyone knows what to do!

Thanks!

Hi,
it sounds like you may need to upgrade your graphics driver. Do you know the manufacturer and model of your system? If so please post so I can find the correct drivers..

Ok, i appreciate that! I updated my driver, and it is back to normal now, I can get the right screen resolution again...

However, I've also noticed that on occasion, my laptop will suddenly just freeze, and all I can do is just force shut down to fix it. Is this a known problem with a particular graphics card, or a system wide problem? I've had the Windows 7 RC for the last several months, and it never froze. I have an ATI Radeon X1200 graphics card, and was curious if there was something I could do to prevent these freezes. It happens almost every day at least once...

Not sure if you'd prefer I start another post or if I can continue to use this one, but any help with that would be appreciated.

One possible reason for the 'locking up' could be that the lappie is getting a little too warm. Make sure all vents ect are free from dust, those cans of compressed air (available from office supply stores such as 'Staples') are perfect for blowing out the cobwebs. :)

I actually just cleaned out the fan the other day, so I doubt that's the issue, my laptop usually stays pretty cool. Any other possibilities? My friend said it happened to his cpu as well for a while, but didn't do it anymore after he started shutting down his laptop periodically. As a designer, I have to keep my laptop on for days at a time, so I hope that is not an issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

I haven't activated yet, if that may be a possible issue...

Which model do you have? There might be updates for either the drivers or Bios and these can be found at the laptop makers website.

I have an Acer Extensa 5420 laptop. These freezes happen in the morning, when I open my laptop after putting it in sleep mode and closing it the night before.

Hi General,
I checked the Acer website and noticed your model didn't have a Windows 7 drivers (see screenshot)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Why not try running the Upgrade advisor as this will tell you if any hardware is uncompatible..

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

That's odd... where can I find the upgrade advisor? And why would this only start to happen once I upgraded from the Windows 7 RC to the full version?

Back
Top Bottom