Windows 7 Screwy Windows Update

Fenway16

Honorable Member
On 4/1 I received a win update: "Advanced Micro Devices driver update for AMD SMBus". It was successful. BUT! everyday since then, I have received notice to update the same and every day it fails!! Every day when I try to shut down pc, the bronze shield on the shutdown menu comes up and it goes into its routine. Updating and failing. Can someone give me some guidance as to what to do with this. Thanks so much...

Upload your WindowsUpdate.log file, it should be in C:\Windows and you'll probably need to zip it.

Hi and thanks - since it installed successfully on April 1, I believe all is ok. I was told on the winseven forum to right click on it and choose hide update. Since it did do the successful one, I will just go with that unless you see that as a problem. Thanks again.

Yeah that's fine all none driver updates don't come through Windows Updates anymore for Win 7 you have to manually download them from the update catalog.

Huh. I wasn't aware that win updates were not automatically coming anymore. I received about 3 automatically in March. Then this driver update shows up. I have never seen a driver update come thru windows update function. At any rate, can you give me the link to the update catalog. Thanks again.

You have to go here to get updates Microsoft Update Catalog

Search 'windows 7 monthly rollup'

They will be the Monthly Quality Roll ups listed for each month plus x64 if you are on a 64 bit system.

Interestingly, I received, automatically, 3 updates yesterday. Guess I'm ok for a while. Thanks for link.

Back