Windows Vista Seagate FreeAgent Desktop install

dickeddy

Hi all

Just got a new laptop (Dell XPS M1530 800Mhz, 4GB memory, 250GB hard drive - sweet machine) with Win Vista Ultimate. On my old machine I had attached 2 external hard drives to hold photos/music/etc. Transfered the USB cables over to the new machine expecting them to just work. My Seagate 250GB drive attached right away but my Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500GB drive did not. Vista didn't even recognize that it was plugged in. I looked around on the web to see if maybe I just needed a missing driver but found that it didn't need a driver - just plug it in. Seagate's data sheet on the drive said it was Vista compatible but that doesn't mean much when it doesn't work. So just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with this drive (or similar model). I thought maybe there was something wrong with the USB port but even switching to another port didn't help.

Let me know if any of you have experienced the same thing.

thanks
d

Hmm.... how many different ports did you try? If you tried the ones at the front for instance then try the ones at the back.. Do try every one though.

I Used to have one but I gave it to a friend....
If I remember right you need to have it plugged in and boot up go into your bios and make sure that your PC recognizes it and also check your USB settings in your bios and make sure it is enabled. (If I remember right)

hope that helps.

Thanks for responding. I did try all (3) USB ports and each one I try it tells me that one of my USB port has an 'unknown device' attached to it. I go into Device Manager and click on the 'unknown device' and it says that Vista doesn't recognize it and either no drivers are installed for it or none are needed.

SuperBill!
Where have you been man? Good to see you in the forum again :D

Hi Guys

Nice to know that I was missed.
Am very much alive, thank you Fatboy!!!
Have been away on another "assignment" that took me abroad for a few days.
Just starting to catch up on my messages, off which 60% were spam.
Will be back in the forum A.S.A.P.

Hmm..... Away on 'assignment' eh? Do we have a 'James Bond' in our midst?

I've had this problem before with mass storage devices and I just copy the files that start with usbstor* from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and paste them into C:\Windows\INF. Plug the drive back in and it should install.

Back