Windows 7 Security in Windows 7

anbazhaganac

Hi,

I would like to find out what are the programs which are currently accessing internet (or established connection with outside world), with it's exe name, location in the local disk, vendor/provider, what are the ports it is accessing, who started the program, from when on-wards it is running etc.

netstat -b gives some information, but not detailed information.

Please let know is there any utility or way find above thing in Windows 7 (at least)?

Thanks in advance,
Anbu

I do not know of any single app that will do all of this. There are a ton of apps out there that will give you different info you seek. One to start with is ESET SysInspector, this is a pretty decent app from what I have seen.

Also check SysInternals apps, Port watchers, Process Explorers and Activity Watchers.
I can't give you any more specifics than that unfortunately.

Hi Tepid,

Thanks a lot for your information. I was expecting this feature from Microsoft itself (atleast in Windows 7). Because now-a-days many PCs/Laptops are always connected with internet and it makes people to worry a lot about their data security.

Hi,

I would like to find out what are the programs which are currently accessing internet (or established connection with outside world), with it's exe name, location in the local disk, vendor/provider, what are the ports it is accessing, who started the program, from when on-wards it is running etc.

netstat -b gives some information, but not detailed information.

Please let know is there any utility or way find above thing in Windows 7 (at least)?

Thanks in advance,
Anbu

This 'may' help you in what you seek... I copied and pasted this from here; TweakGuides.com (it was in the archived section)

The free Process Monitor utility has been updated to Version 2.5. This is a major update which adds a number of enhancements, including new by-extension and by-directory views in the File Summary dialog, a new Network Summary view, quick filtering in all the summary views, additional IOCTL and error result decoding, and bug fixes.

If you click on the link it will take you to the download page. I use it myself and it does have a Network summary. It's not hugely detailed but it might be enough for your needs?

You can download PC Tools Firewall Plus. It's free.

Then choose the Activity button and this will provide you a list of apps currently connected to the Internet.. Click on the Connection link and it wiill give the Remote address.

You can then click the Applications button, select any program from the list and either allow or deny access to the Internet., and see what apps are allowed access to the Internet,. Click on the program you want to find the information about and choose the listening link

You can download PC Tools Firewall Plus. It's free.

That means installing, possibly uninstalling the current Firewall, reinstalling it again afterwards, etc.

The sysinternal tools are more useful, because they're pretty much all (as far as I can remember) standalone and also developed by Microsoft's own technicians.

Yes, Sysinternal apps are great, however the novice computer user can hose their computer if they uncheck certain items when using Autoruns. Most all my experience regading my registry hacking was learned though Sysinternals Filemon program, however, it doesn't work under Vista or Windows 7, being replaced by Process Monitor.

I'm running version 2.6 of SysInternals Process Monitor.

It doesn't tell you what application is accessing the Internet.

Many people do not run a personal firewall, we'll need to know that from the OP.

You might want to give this Port Status tool a try:

http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester

Also, a new beta version of PC Tools Firewall Plus can be downloaded here

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus/1170960952/1

Let's hope the OP comes back

Yes, he is asking for a lot of information from a single application.

Thanks a lot to all.

I expect said security features in Windows 7, because there is no much addition features are included to migrate from Vista to Windows 7, other than fixing some of the issues found in Vista. So, at least if more security features included in Windows 7, it makes people to go for Windows 7.

I strongly feel that proper security can be provided only the by the OS provider. As a die-hard fan of windows, I would like to have windows with more security.

Cheers,

The onus of security is on both the provider and the user. Yes, the provider needs to do everything they can to make things as secure as they can. But in the end, more attention should be from the user, not the provider. Provider can only do so much, as can the user. But ultimately, it is more on the user than the provider on some issues, and some, more on the provider.

I guess really it's a 50/50 thing. With points swaying to the user.

Back