mispeled

Using Windows 8.1 on HP machine
All updates up-to-date
Hardware: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Explorer Folder Option selected: Single-click to open an item (point to select); Underline icon titles only when I point on them
Display: Detail list (Ctrl + Shift + 6)
No touch input

Here's the problem: For as long as I have used windows, I can select multiple files by pressing ctrl-left mouse button. If I want to select multiple consecutive files, I move my cursor down to the last file in the list and press shift-left mouse button. If I want to select multiple files that are not listed consecutively, I move my cursor along the list of files and press ctrl-left mouse button to select each individual file.

This does not work for me any longer and I do not know why.

I do not have Click-lock on.

Often I will press ctrl-left mouse click and the file will not select. When I move my mouse away from the file I've selected, it will UN-select. If I continue to press the CTRL key while attempting to select another file and float my mouse cursor down the list of files to select ONE single file further in the list, ALL the files in between the first file I click and the final file will become selected.

Moving the mouse cursor carefully and steadily to select individual files yields varied results; sometimes I can select individual files; sometimes, I can click multiple times to select an additional file and the file will not become selected. More often than not, I will select several files and earlier files will become unselected.

Extremely frustrating.

I have been a Windows user since version 3.1 and this has never happened to me. I have been a Windows 8.1 user for over a year now and this is a new wrinkle. I have done system restore multiple times and it has not solved the problem. I have uninstalled Intellipoint/Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse center and reinstalled and the problem has not solved. I have checked every setting for my mouse in the mouse center and cannot see a setting that imposes this feature.

Changing folder options to Double-click to open an item (single click to select) solves the problem. I am able to navigate and organize my files the way I always have. Only happens when single-click feature is enabled. Please note: I have been using the single-click select feature since Windows XP. Somehow it skips the single click part of the process and just selects by floating the cursor above the file name. Why? How can I stop it?

Your guidance and actual solution to this irritant is appreciated.

It seems like you are experiencing an issue with selecting multiple files using the single-click feature in Windows 8.1 with your Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. This issue might be related to how the single-click selection feature is affecting the selection of files when using the Ctrl and Shift keys in combination with mouse clicks.

Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Mouse Settings Check:
- Ensure that the mouse settings in the Control Panel are configured correctly. You can access this by going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse.

2. Update Mouse Drivers:
- Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 installed. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause issues with mouse behavior.

3. Reset Default Mouse Settings:
- Reset your mouse settings to default. This action can sometimes resolve unexpected behavior. You can do this in the Mouse settings within the Control Panel.

4. Check for Software Conflicts:
- Check for any software conflicts that might be affecting the mouse behavior. Sometimes, third-party software can interfere with mouse inputs.

5. Disable Unnecessary Mouse Software:
- If you have any additional mouse software installed, try disabling or uninstalling it to see if it resolves the issue. Sometimes, conflicting software can cause unexpected behavior.

### Possible Solutions:

1. Disable Enhance Pointer Precision:
- In the Mouse settings, try disabling the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option. This feature can sometimes interfere with precise mouse movements.

2. Adjust Double-Click Speed:
- Check the double-click speed settings in the Mouse properties. Adjusting this setting might help with accurate selection.

3. Modify Registry Settings:
- Making changes to the Windows Registry can sometimes fix mouse-related issues. However, this should be done carefully as editing the registry can have consequences if done incorrectly.

4. Use Keyboard Shortcuts:
- As an alternative, you can also use keyboard shortcuts like Shift + Arrow keys to select multiple files instead of relying solely on mouse clicks.

### Additional Considerations:

• Since you mentioned that changing the folder option to double-click to open solves the problem, it seems like this issue might be specific to how the single-click feature interacts with file selection.
  • If none of the above solutions work, you may need to consider using the double-click selection method or reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions on any of the troubleshooting steps or if you have any other questions!

Back