Windows 7 Selling Windows 7 on eBay

jonnyboy

I have a number of copies on preorder with the intention to sell on ebay. Is this a good idea? Is selling Microsoft products on ebay restricted or anything else to stop me doing it?

If they will be genuine retail copies, I would not think it is a problem.

Read the EULA very carefully

I assume you bought some discs at 1/2 price and plan to sell them, still in the original box, for perhaps 3/4 price after GA. Normally there is no restriction to selling a purchased OS or application to someone else PROVIDED you remove it from your computer and do not continue to use the program yourself (or never install it). HOWEVER, you must read the EULA very carefully to make sure that there is no "to original purchaser" clause that prevents the resale of the product. (particularly a product purchased on a special, limited time offer) You would have some very irate customers if you sell them a product, then learn that the installation key is only valid for the original purchaser. (For example, a preinstalled Windows OS is valid only for the motherboard to which it was originally installed.) The EULA is the place to learn the definitive word on any particular item.

Aren't the "upgrade" versions considered OEM? Meaning, once they ship, they won't be in a "retail" box, but perhaps a white box or just a DVD sleeve? (perhaps I'm referring to the "free" upgrade to 7 discs when you buy Vista)

Personally, I wouldn't even trip, as you can see plenty of "questionable" for-sale Windows products on Ebay as it is. Besides, you haven't installed them yet, so should be able to do as you please with them. OEM software is stamped indicating that it's to be distributed with a new system and not for re-sale, but I've bought them from people in the past (and they were brand new, still sealed).

There are so many versions (SKUs) of the same OS and several different EULAs associated with different SKUs that it is difficult (really impossible) to make a single statement that applies to all of them. This confusion is compounded by a conflict in terminology. Some people refer to one "thing" as OEM and some refer to something different as OEM. Some refer to one item or operation as "upgrade" and some refer to something else as "upgrade". The only way to make a single statement regarding all scenarios is, "read the EULA"...............carefully!

It's one of those grey areas really.. ;) If you read the EULA carefully you'll find the clause and then wonder whether or not you should.. But if you search Ebay right now for "Windows" or "Microsoft Windows" you'll find all kinds of results.. So in the end even though the clause is there it doesn't look like Microsoft enforces it as much as they could.. ;) Just some food for thought..

Back
Top Bottom