Server 2008 R2 has trouble with Discord/Denuvo/Other stuff

Yart

Hello! This is gonna be an odd post in this section, considering that my problems are unrelated to server usage altogether, but maybe someone can help me out here.

I got a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 from the Dreamspark program years ago by attending college. I decided I wanted to use this as my desktop OS for Windows gaming.

Everything is fine, except certain programs fail to work properly.

Discord will not update, therefore will not start.
Puyo Puyo Tetris, a game with Denuvo, will not allow me to play online, and in order to start the game for the first time I had to enter a long code because it couldn't connect to the Denuvo servers.
ShmupMAME 3.0b fails to start a game after I pick one from the launcher.

I tried shutting off the firewall and Windows Defender but this does not change the outcome.

The three programs that failed have something in common: they're trying to do an external process. I suspect there's something in Windows Server that's preventing this, but I cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this, and how I could disable/fix it?

I'd super appreciate any clues or help! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I changed a buncha stuff regarding policies and somehow ShmupMAME and Denuvo works now. I wish I knew exactly which one did it though, but when I figure it out I'll update this post so anyone in the future might benefit.

Discord is still boned.

EDIT AGAIN: It seems that going under My Computer's Properties/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Performance Settings.../Data Execution Prevention, and setting the radio button to the top option ("Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only") is what's fixing ShmupMAME and Denuvo. Great!! Just need to figure out Discord now!

Does anyone know if Windows Server 2008 has an issue with programs executing and installing things in AppData in the Users folder for a user?

FINAL EDIT: Turns out TLS 1.2/SSL 3.0 aren't used by default!

Following the instructions here I managed to get Discord working.

Everything works now! I know nobody replied and I ended up figuring everything out myself, but I'm leaving this here for the next crazy person to try Server 2008 R2 as a desktop OS as a reference.

Last edited:
Server operating systems are really a bad idea to be used as a client OS. Namely because they are designed and configured to dedicate most of their CPU cycles to background processes rather than client facing processes which is why client facing processes appear to run slower.

SIde note I would disable SSL v3 nothing really uses it now a days and it's very insecure. Another important note is 2008 R2 is end of life next year.

Back