Windows 10 Service Host (svchost.exe) Memory leak / Memory Hog

Alianellj

I bought a refurbished computer about 3 months ago and have had this problem since receiving it. After booting, the memory percentage is ~30% because of regular processes and after an hour of only looking at the desktop, the memory creeps up to 80-100%. When I look at task manager, it shows 150+ "Service Host: ***" using 0.5-1.5% of the memory and when attempting to end them, the system says " Ending this process will cause windows to shut down" with "Shut down" and "cancel" being the only two options. I have tried checking the Windows image with DISM RestoreHealth and DISM CheckHealth and both times nothing was found. I have also followed a few YouTube videos (Below) where you cleared some file or something and changed a number and to no avail. I have also checked for updates which also didn't help and some suggested turning off notifications, again, no help. I even tried my own method of creating a dump file for each of the processes and I stopped after about 3 because all it did was increase the memory usage from 1.1% to 1.5%.... all it did was make it worse lol.
I'm not sure whats important for system information besides I have 16gb ram with 64x Windows 10
Any help is greatly appreciated as I cannot use the machine for more than 25 minutes before having to restart it and clearing 150 processes.

Thanks
-AlianellJ

Attachments

• Help.PNG
    Help.PNG
    285.9 KB · Views: 206
svchost is a generic hosting contain for various services. To give a better answer you need to get a program like procexp to determine which particular svchost is causing the resource spike. Sometimes this is normal behavior such as .net refactoring and can go on for sometime but will go away, or in some cases I've seen this happen due to corruption in the OS which running chkdsk and sfc can usually correct these issues.

Thanks for responding so quick! ;)
The problem is that there are too many Service Hosts running, there isn't just one particular one using too much memory, All of these processes are staying permanently, not spikes then leaving
CHKDSK found no problems
sfc also found nothing :((

svchost is a generic hosting contain for various services. To give a better answer you need to get a program like procexp to determine which particular svchost is causing the resource spike. Sometimes this is normal behavior such as .net refactoring and can go on for sometime but will go away, or in some cases I've seen this happen due to corruption in the OS which running chkdsk and sfc can usually correct these issues.
Thanks for responding so quick! ;)
The problem is that there are too many Service Hosts running, there isn't just one particular one using too much memory, All of these processes are staying permanently, not spikes then leaving
CHKDSK found no problems
sfc also found nothing :((

I bought a refurbished computer about 3 months ago and have had this problem since receiving it. After booting, the memory percentage is ~30% because of regular processes and after an hour of only looking at the desktop, the memory creeps up to 80-100%. When I look at task manager, it shows 150+ "Service Host: ***" using 0.5-1.5% of the memory and when attempting to end them, the system says " Ending this process will cause windows to shut down" with "Shut down" and "cancel" being the only two options. I have tried checking the Windows image with DISM RestoreHealth and DISM CheckHealth and both times nothing was found. I have also followed a few YouTube videos (Below) where you cleared some file or something and changed a number and to no avail. I have also checked for updates which also didn't help and some suggested turning off notifications, again, no help. I even tried my own method of creating a dump file for each of the processes and I stopped after about 3 because all it did was increase the memory usage from 1.1% to 1.5%.... all it did was make it worse lol.
I'm not sure whats important for system information besides I have 16gb ram with 64x Windows 10
Any help is greatly appreciated as I cannot use the machine for more than 25 minutes before having to restart it and clearing 150 processes.

Thanks
-AlianellJ

You are right, something is bad with your computer. I looked at mine, with 16GB of memory, and any of the svchost processes use no more than 1.5MB. In your case, every svchost process use more than 100MB. This is very unusual. Do you have any antivirus installed? Did you do a deep scan of your computer? I would suggest, at least for the meantime, to not use your computer for passing sensitive data, like usernames and passwords of your bank account.
I also think you should go to the guy that sold you the computer and ask for explanations.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Solution 1. Scan your computer for viruses.

Solution 2. Find and Disable the service that cause the “svchost” high usage problem.

Solution 3: Empty Event viewer log.

Solution 4: Troubleshoot Windows Updates problems.

Solution 1. Scan your computer for viruses.
Many viruses or malicious programs can cause the svchost.exe high CPU/memory usage problem. So, before you continue to troubleshoot the Svchost.exe high CPU usage problem, use this Malware Scan and Removal Guide to check and remove viruses or/and malicious programs that may be running on your computer.

Solution 2. Find and Disable the service that causes the “svchost” high CPU usage problem.
Svchost.exe is a process that is needed by several services or programs in order for them to run. So, determine which service or program runs under the svchost.exe process and is hogging your system’s CPU and memory resources and then proceed to disable or totally uninstall that program (or service).

1. Press Ctlr+Alt+Del keys simultaneously and then open Task Manager.
2. At Processes tab, check the Show processes from all users checkbox.
3. Right-click on the high usage svchost.exe process and select Go to Service(s).
4. At services tab you should see several highlighted services that run under the svchost.exe process.
5. Now it ‘s time to find out which process is hogging CPU resources: To do that, you have two ways.

A) You can perform a sequentially search using Google (for all highlighted services) and see if the searched service is critical — or not — for your computer.

Or –

B) You can try to sequentially stop services (one by one) until CPU resources come back to normal. To stop a service temporary:

Choose a service
Right-click on it, and choose Stop Service.

I think I fixed it... i installed 3 recommended anti malware programs and it seems to have fixed it, I've been using the machine for ~2 hours and the ram seems posted between 40 and 50%!!!!Each process is only using ~9MB compared to the prevuius 100+MB
I followed this guide but only followed steps 1-4:
However, the first two programs found no .dll files, Zemana was the only one to find them, if anyone else has this problem, I'd start there.

Thank you everyone! My computer is usable again!! :):)

I think I fixed it... i installed 3 recommended anti malware programs and it seems to have fixed it, I've been using the machine for ~2 hours and the ram seems posted between 40 and 50%!!!!Each process is only using ~9MB compared to the prevuius 100+MB
I followed this guide but only followed steps 1-4:
However, the first two programs found no .dll files, Zemana was the only one to find them, if anyone else has this problem, I'd start there.

Thank you everyone! My computer is usable again!! :):)
Bravo, well done!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom