Windows 8 sfc / scannow

Caz

Good evening,

Have just completed a while ago, the above program. No idea really as to why I ran that particular program. I was simply looking for ideas as to perhaps give my newish PC a shot in the arm as it had become rather sluggish over the 5 months I have had it. Being a retired old fogey, the resultant file generated by sfc / scannow is a little meaningless but thankfully contains no mention of any corrupted files.

If anyone can take a quick look at the log, would you recommend any further action by me?

sfc scannow.JPG

and the log file

Not sure if the log file is going to be attached! It is just over 800k in size.

If not, if anyone can advise how to upload the log, I should be grateful.

Thanks
Caz

Attachments

• CBS 26June15.txt
    833.4 KB · Views: 426
Most of it looks ok to me:
1. it did have issues getting to the internet but that could just be that your machine was doing something else at the time.
2. there are a lot of files that you don't own on this system... is there more than one persons account or a network/ external storage drive attached?

You might try and run this command as an admin and after running it rerun sfc /scannow.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Thank you for your replies.

ussnorway:
1. Not really unless background tasks such as Skype, antivirus program, Epson printer monitor, wife using tablet.
2. I do have an external HD for storing photos and old files. By network, is this referring to tablet, wifi printer, old Dell Zino connected to non-Smart TV?

Sonny:
Ran the "dism" program which completed successfully.
Ran the "sfc" which completed and this time the log file is much different but I couldn't say whether it tells me the computer is clean enough or whether any further action is necessary.

iOBMuIs.jpg

and the new log file was huge, too large for the forum and therefore has been zipped.

Thanks and regards
Caz

Attachments

• CbsPersist_20150627093646 27Jun15.zip
    894.1 KB · Views: 1,160
give my newish PC a shot in the arm as it had become rather sluggish over the 5 months I have had it.
these tests will not speed up your system... I'd start by turning off software that you don't need at boot time and then work from there.
press [windows key] + [x] then press [t] and pick the startup tab
Screenshot (32).png

from here you can turn things off without un-installing them and see how that effects your bootup time... this does NOT stop you using the software whenever you want it but just tells it not to auto-start at boot.

p.s. post a screenshot if you want and we will tell you what each program does.

Not really unless background tasks such as Skype, antivirus program, Epson printer monitor, wife using tablet.

Yes that would slow down your internet... the skype and anti-virus could each do it on there own.

I do have an external HD for storing photos and old files. By network, is this referring to tablet, wifi printer, old Dell Zino connected to non-Smart TV?

Yes thats a network and would explain why the scan cann't access all the areas.

Thanks again and for clarifying part of the reason why sfc /scannow can be affected by the existence of a network amongst various other factors.

As requested, here is my Startup Tab:

trmhc7L.jpg

Already I see I can most likely improve performance by disabling our SatNav as we probably update it only once a month. If Skype was disabled, would we miss video calls from relatives and friends? I was under the impression that Skype had to be running so that others can see you are online.

Thanks and regards
Caz

The INF file mentioned in your CBS sfc log references a Cannon Inkjet printer.

Weird for I don't have a Canon printer but did have several years ago.

Thanks.

If Skype was disabled, would we miss video calls from relatives and friends? I was under the impression that Skype had to be running so that others can see you are online.

Yes and no... Skype needs to be on to work but people can see when you are on or off so they won't ring you if you show as being off-line.

as for the start ups I'd recommed turning off the red ones now and then testing the blue ones to see how they affect your system times.
trmhc7L.jpg

Thanks.

I set to "Disabled" those marked red and also decided to disable TomTom. I then robooted the computer and so far, everything seems fine.

Will reported back should the problem re-occur.

Again, thanks and kind regards
Caz

Back
Top Bottom