Windows 8 Share drives over network

sirloyne

Banned
I have a computer that I'm punishing, so I installed Windows H8 on it. I did the H8.1 (for lack of a better word) update. I want to be able to move files and folders to and from the D drive. With XP it's incredibly easy, I just go to the drive I want to share and click share. Done. With Windows H8 I go to the drive, right click, go to Share With-->Advanced Sharing, check the Share This Folder box and go to permissions and Allow everything for Everyone. I've turned off requiring a password. When I try to go to the D drive from another computer, running XP, it says I don't have permission. Why? Don't tell me I shouldn't be sharing drives. If that's your answer I don't want to hear it. Just tell me why I'm not allowed to do the simplest thing.

Solved. It's the same as Win 7. You can find the answer in my thread "Fixes For Crapware Windows 7", or below

I've spent the last 7 months trying to find how to move files from my XP machines to my stupid Win 7 laptops desktop. All I could ever find online was people saying "that would be dangerous" and "you shouldn't do that" and loads of other drivel about how Big Brother M$ is looking out for me by making it as difficult as possible. However... if I want to share my folders with my computers in my house on my network I should be able to. So... for those of you who are tired of being told what you can and can't do with YOUR computer, here's how to do it.

**Note** To share your desktop you need to go to your C/Users folder and follow the steps. Obviously if you have a "D" drive you'll need to pick your D drive.

Right click C drive and go to Properties. Click the Security tab. Click Edit, then Click Add. Enter the name NETWORK, and then click Check Names. Click OK. Check all the Allow boxes, and then click OK. Click the Sharing tab. Click Advanced Sharing, then Permissions. Check all Allow boxes for Everyone. Click OK then OK.

Last edited:
Not sure that this should be accepted as a true answer. Lets imagine your network gets a virus, that now means that every machine on your network you've allowed the Everyone group access to is fair game to be accessed via the Administrative C$ share, infectious galore.

Back