Windows 7 ShellExecuteEx Failed; code 1203 and code 2.

Candy001

I recently downloaded a program, and when i tried to run the .exe file i got an error box with the error ShellExecuteEx Failed; code 1203. I tried to install an anti malware program, and when i tried to run that file i got the same error, but with code 2 this time.

If i try and run either program as Administrator i get and error saying windowns cannot acces C:\Users...

I also can't move any files in or out of C, nor can i delete any files from C. I tried to run a system restore but I got an error saying i do not have permission to access C:.

Please Help!

Welcome to windows7forums.

1. Did you clean install Windows 7 on a formatted partition, or did you go upgrade?

2. ShellExecuteEx is an important system routine function which may fail to communicate with a software installer - if there is a compatibility issue, for example.

Get all the system updates and check the software site for latest version as well as for compatibility requirements, including x86/x64 issues.

Windows 7 came pre-installed on the netbook i brought 7 months ago and i have no previous issues withit/havent changed and of the HDD partitions.

I have checked for updates and found nothing.

Try running AV in safe mode. (press F8 at boot and choose safemode)

Make sure you don't have 2 anti viruses installed.
Run MalwareBytes (Malwarebytes) and SuperAntiSpyware Link Removed due to 404 Error and then try again.

Try running AV in safe mode. (press F8 at boot and choose safemode)

Make sure you don't have 2 anti viruses installed.
Run MalwareBytes (Malwarebytes) and SuperAntiSpyware Link Removed due to 404 Error and then try again.

I could install and run both of these of these programs in Safe Mode, but when i tried to run them in normal mode only superantispyware would run. Malwarebytes gave the error code 0x800704b3 when i try and run the program.

SuperAnitSpyware did remove some adware/malware but none of the files it cleaned have fixed the initial problems.

I first noticed the problem when i tried to install etax2010 (I don't think this caused the problem as I got it from the Autralian Tax Office site), so I'm not sure if there error started earlier or not.

An option to system restore

Backup any files you want to save to a floppy or usb stick

Reboot, start tapping F8 until you get a black screen and first option is 'Repair your Computer'
Hit enter, Select keyboard, Select User and enter Password
Choose System Restore and check the box say show more at bottom.
Choose wisely here as we want to go back before this problem started.

Candy001 said:
If i try and run either program as Administrator i get and error saying windowns cannot acces C:\Users...

I also can't move any files in or out of C, nor can i delete any files from C.

Are you trying to install from an administrator account (which may not be the same as "Run as...").

Sorry for the late reply guys,

I tried several of my system restore points, but they either all had the error or were missing files and wouldn't load. In the end I've restored the computer to factory and now its working fine.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom