Windows 7 Should i partition my 1T hard drive. I am doing a windows 7 64bit clean install.

thanks.

Hopefully, one last question.

Is there a down side to creating a partition larger than 100G? What if i created a partition say 500G? Whats the down side?

I am installing the new OS for my dad onto a 1T drive. I was thinking of just splitting the drive in two.........any down side to this?

There is no downside to large partitions - as long as you have software and data segregated the rest is up to you. From earlier discussion you might decide to make a separate partition for backups but I must admit I don't bother - just have my backups as a folder on the data partition.

Just know that no matter the imaging solution chosen they all create the image from just the used space so the partition size isn't much of an issue.
When you run Clonezila it will ask where the image file is located when you select the restore option.
All this is outlined in my guide in detail.

Yes the D\L is an .iso and the link I provided is to the latest version.
Either use the 64bit version or the i686 version (assuming you have a multicore proc).

ImageBurn is an excellent tool for burning .iso's.

Clonezilla can be installed to a USB thumb drive if your BIOS supports booting USB devices.

Great Windows tool for that is Unetbootin.

I describe how to use that in my guide.

BTW, the image can be saved directly to the data partition.
Save it directly to the root of the partition for simplicity, no separate folder needed.

The image itself is actually a folder with the name you gave it that contains the various component files of the image.

The image files will be split by default into 2 GB pieces to allow it to be saved to a Fat 32 partition if needed.

The restore seamlessly and automagically recombine them when a restore is needed.

PM me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Frank,

I had a few more questions about clonezilla. Not sure if this is the best place for it but since it was mentioned in this thread i will ask my questions here.

I decided to try out clonezilla on an older Windwos XP system i have before trying it on my dads windows 7 computer.

Question1:
I have an external hard drive that i use to backup data. I plan on using this to store the "cloned image of my hard drive". My hard drive has 131G of free space and ~ 18G of used space. My external hard drive has 265G of free space and ~33G of used space. Copying the cloned image to my external drive should be no issue right? I can still use the external hard drive for other things .....right?

Question2:
Not saying it cant happen .......but in general......if everything runs right.........all the other data on my external hard drive will be ok.....it wont be wiped or anything will it?

ok.....i must have tried the wrong link.

thanks.

but to my first set of questions.........

Question1:
I have an external hard drive that i use to backup data. I plan on using this to store the "cloned image of my hard drive". My hard drive has 131G of free space and ~ 18G of used space. My external hard drive has 265G of free space and ~33G of used space. Copying the cloned image to my external drive should be no issue right? I can still use the external hard drive for other things .....right?

Question2:
Not saying it cant happen .......but in general......if everything runs right.........all the other data on my external hard drive will be ok.....it wont be wiped or anything will it?

Yes, you can use your external drive for other things such as storage, etc., doing a backup to that drive won't cause any problems.

It won't wipe your external drive either. You'll be good there too.

Thanks for the info.
Yep, I agree with nibiru2012.
The image is just another folder after all.
In the scenario you mention the image size will be about 9 GB based on the fact that you reported ~18 GB used space.
This is with the default compression level set by Clonezilla.
Even tighter compression is available in Clonezilla but more compression take more time.
The default compression level is a good compromise between speed and ultimate image size.

Be aware that regardless of the image size the partition that you restore the image to must be the same size or larger than than the source partition.

Again using your example you stated that your drive\partition has 131 GB of free space and 18 GB used space that is roughly 150 GB total.
If you wanted to use Clonezilla to move your install to a new drive the new drive\partition would need to be exactly 150 GB or larger or Clonezilla would error out.

Indeed I used Clonezilla to migrate all 6 of my Operating System installs from a 320 GB drive to a 500 GB drive.
I prepped the new drive by creating corresponding partitions on my new drive (being careful to make them exactly the same size as the original).
The only difference being that the storage partitions on the new drive were grown to accommodate the greater drive capacity.

i tried the clonezilla..........its not done but i see on the screen stuff like
"Buffer I/O error on device sda1"

Any ideas? I went to the clonezilla site but really no help at all.

Back