Windows 8 Should I upgrade?

DatGuyAsh

Hello all, I recently installed Windows 8.1 today but I am thinking should I upgrade to Windows 10 or stay on 8.1?
This is my gaming PC, I will only be playing RuneScape.

This might be in the wrong board section just didn't know were else to post it.
Thank you.

I would for the enhanced security, leaner code base, and longer support. I would verify that your device has Windows 10 drivers before you upgrade.

datguyash … all depends on what you expect and what you can live without. neemobeer offers valuable insight and experience as to what win-10 offers … there's disadvantages as well.
  • incompatible hardware
  • outdated equipment
  • forced updates
  • reduced security (my opinion)
according to your post, the premise is that you will be using the computer for only one computer game … that nobody else will ever have access to it … that you will not give it to your son/spouse when the time comes for you to get a new computer. i'm also assuming runescape is online tactical multi-player computer game.

however, you never stated how old your computer is … which os it came with originally … and whether you have upgraded the computer since purchase. in lieu of this, i'd suggest you stick with what you have. unless microsoft changes their initiative … win-8.1 is eligible for support until jan '23 … win-10 extends for additional 2½ years.

now then, datguyash … if you decide to continue with your current model … make sure your sentry arsenal is beefed up. you need ransom-ware detector … root-kit and boot-kit detectors … malware purger … and anti-virus. every time the computer is booted up … immediately update reference files in all sentries … then run complete scans.

i am not saying java, flash and other plug-ins are safe … however, if you choose to not disable them … at least make sure you update them religiously. same goes for the browser and microsoft security updates. along the line of neemobeer suggestion … wouldn't hurt to keep the drivers updated as well. though, you might wish to create system-restore points before updating the drivers.

last thought from me … since you will only play runescape online … your browser does not need any add-ons … uninstall them. if you anticipate going online … get yourself ad-blocker, white-lister and "no-script". keep your ship tight 'n clean.

drop by once in a while, sport … we've got a few talented game-mongrels in this forum.

You have been given the for and against argument so the only thing now is for you to provide system information before we can go into it more

Back