Windows Vista Shrinking system drive free space in Vista OS, service pack 2

HaplessVista

The free space in my drive keeps shrinking though I haven't installed any new legal software in it.
Is this a Vista OS problem, or is this some sort of malware or virus engineered to scrape data fragments off my system drive?

What are the fixes for the above two scenarios?

Could be temp files, page file, hibernate file or any number of things. Create a disk usage report and upload it here.
  • Download DU Disk Usage and put it on your desktop
  • Open a command prompt and type CD %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
  • Type du -c -v C:\ >> du_report.csv
  • Upload the du_report.csv file from your desktop here. You may need to zip the file first

Most likely it's due to Hard Drive failure as most Vista computers are nearing 10 years old this year (from 2007); and Hard Drives are only designed to work for 3 years in Desktop PCs and only 2 years in Laptops! :eek:
If you've owned that computer since it was new and never had the Hard Drive replaced; it's 90%+ certain that it's failing or now completely failed!o_O

After you try to upload your Disk Usage log to neemo; consider testing your Hard Drive and RAM sticks; replacing them if failure occurs. I have written a thorough step-by-step Troubleshooting Guide to assist you with the HW Testing here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
The Guide is quite long (6-8 pages), and so is a good idea to print out and have hardcopy in front of your computer while attempting to Troubleshoot it.

Post back if you get stuck or have any questions.

Cheers!:eagerness:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back
Top Bottom