Sign-in Hassel while Using a VPN

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I'm using Nord VPN and Edge Browser currently and happy with the combination. However, when I try to sign in to my g mail accounts I need to enter a code sent to my phone to verify it's actually me. The same happens to online banking. I suspect the reason is that the VPN assigns a different IP address and location that is unfamiliar to these various websites. Is there any way to work around this, besides not using a VPN? I'm guessing there isn't, but perhaps one of you gurus may have an answer. Thanks for any replies.

I use a public,open Wi Fi network at my residence and feel the VPN adds security. Besides, the situation seems to have resolved itself. I imagine the new IP address is now recognized by g mail, so 2-step verification isn't necessary. As far as my online banking goes, I welcome 2-step verification for extra security. I'm sure you're aware there are other benefits to using a VPN, Neemo.

A VPN isn't really going to add security. It does protect data in transit, but HTTPS also does that and is more than adequate. A VPN won't protect you from malware or any other type of attack.

I always respect your opinion, Neemo. You're far more savvy than I am. However, I'll continue with the VPN because it makes me feel better, if that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I use the same vpn. I use it to change geo location for the likes of netflix. Though the newer nord has Cyber sec that filter malicious sites which is a bonus.

Yes, nmsuk, I just installed Nord 2 days ago. I was using Tunnelbear and it worked fine as far as I could tell, but the subscription is running out soon and I wanted to experiment with another VPN. Doing a lot of searching on reviews online I also decided on Nord VPN and so far it looks like a keeper (I'm trying it for one month before signing up yearly). Have you found any issues with your Nord?

When they started I did, but no, no problems with it and I like how it can be set to kill a list of apps if the vpn drops. Newest version also allows you to kill all traffic when it's not connected.

I used a PIA for my VPN and I will have the same issues as you @Hermitkrab. I looked it up on their support page and some security podcasts I listen to talk about this issue. And I believe the problem is what you said about not knowing the VPN IP addresses and location. And there really any way around it other than letting your VPN know what sites you have issues with and they'll work with the sites and you letting the sites know.

But yeah I'll run into verification pages when my VPN is on. Some of my financial websites used to not like my VPN and I'd get a "the site is down for maintenance" message but when I turned my VPN off the site would load fine. I'll experience the same issues on my cellphone too. However on my computer it's been getting better but on my cellphone it still can be a pain. I do know that PIA is always added and dumping IP addresses in order to avoid this. As I'm sure Nord does as well.

I've heard good reviews about Nord VPN. They've a no log policy and are based outside any of the 4, 9, and 14 eyes countries. Privacy Tools | Encryption against global mass surveillance is a great site to find privacy and security based software.

I'm sure you're right. But me personally I don't know how to do any of that and using a VPN is more convinent along with the privacy and security benefits. I don't usually take a bandwidth hit when I'm using it but find that usually happens when you already have a slow connection to start with.

Hi, Axel. I noticed that too. The financial site would tell me ,"not available at this time" or something similar when using a VPN. If I remained connected to the US I'd usually be OK. I noticed the problem once when I was connected to Mexico.
BTW, I'm back to using Tunnelbear VPN again. The Nord was good but it cut my Internet connection one time and I had to restart
the computer to get it going
again. I don't recall Tunnel bear ever dropping out during the year I've been using it. Anyhow, to each his own.

Been using Nord for a couple of years and have never seen it drop. My tablet using it has been connected to the same server for months.

I'm happy your Nord VPN is working OK for you, Axel. I did like the program. Perhaps when my tunnel bear subscription is ended in mid April, I may give it a try again. I'm sure it was just a glitch that turned me off on the product and caused me to abruptly stop using it. I really should have given it more time to try out.

Hey, Axel. I couldn't resist trying Nord VPN again. Same problem. It shuts off my Internet and even closing it down doesn't restore it. I give up and will stick with Tunnel Bear. Never a problem!
Hey, Axel. I couldn't resist trying Nord VPN again. Same problem. It shuts off my Internet and even closing it down doesn't restore it. I give up and will stick with Tunnel Bear. Never a problem!

Yeah whenever I connect to a server outside of the US I get problems with U.S. financial sites too.

Hmm, I think Nord VPN cutting off has to do with the software (NORD's client). Maybe check to see if you have the latest version? Have you tried contacting NORD? I've contacted PIA about 3 times with changing payment types and connection issues and they responded quickly and were helpful.

I don't blame ya, stick with what you're comfortable and trust I say.

Back