Windows 7 sleep function causes sound issues

afraca

Greetings to all of you,

I've used Windows 7 RC for 3 days now, and quite love it actually. But, from the moment I installed it, I had a weird issue. Whenever my computer (laptop/notebook (whatever you call it where you're from)) goes into sleep mode, (as it was configured by default after xx minutes (can't remember)), as soon as I wake it up, it appears to have "lost" the sound driver, as it says: "no audio output device is installed". But when I restart, I can use audio speakers with no problem.

(took a while to find out problem was sleep mode, because with laptop/notebook I do --> close lid, unplug power cable -->move somewhere --> plug in power cable --> leave it for 30 minutes...... )

Summary, computer goes to sleep mode --> wake up --> audio driver is unavailable --> no sound output until restart.

sorry I don't have a solution for you, but i do have a similar problem.

My drivers are recognized after hibernation, but only Windows sounds play. Itunes, WMP, even flash sites like youtube refuse to play audio or video after I sleep or hibernate. Only restarting the computer fixes the problem.

Anyone got a solution for us?

I've seen something similar to the 2nd poster. After a resume from S3 standby, occasionally I have no sound. There's no errors and device manager says the drivers are installed.

Without restarting the PC, the only way I've found to fix it is to go through device manager and reinstall the driver.

I might try installing some newer Realtek HD drivers for mine at some point to see if it fixes it. Depending what cards you both have, you might try the same :)

I've seen something similar to the 2nd poster. After a resume from S3 standby, occasionally I have no sound. There's no errors and device manager says the drivers are installed.

Without restarting the PC, the only way I've found to fix it is to go through device manager and reinstall the driver.

I might try installing some newer Realtek HD drivers for mine at some point to see if it fixes it. Depending what cards you both have, you might try the same :)

yikes! I'd rather just restart the computer since you have to restart to install the drivers anyway. I have the newest drivers for my Creative X-fi 5.1 card (the only ones that support Win7 anyway), so i dunno what to do from here.

ok i found a workaround for me. I just disable the speakers in the sound options and then enable them again. I dunno if that will work for the OP since his drivers are not even being recognized.

Last edited:
yikes! I'd rather just restart the computer since you have to restart to install the drivers anyway.

Actually, that's not generally true (and not just for Windows 7). The software may ASK you to restart, but you generally don't have to at all.

I don't know whether you've noticed before, but as soon as you install the drivers, you usually immediately start hearing sounds. Yes, it's a good idea after a fresh driver install, but if you're just reinstalling the same drivers that are currently on the machine, it's usually not necessary at all as the effects are immediate.

RC Candidate Tester

Strangely enough, you are not alone with this problem. After extensively picking through all programs, Present Drivers, Updates and System diagnostics, It appeared that the problem existed in the registry. If you you went to your Sound and hardware menu or right clicked onto the speaker icon in your taskbar, you will notice that the volume level for applications is highlited and active but the programs volume level for all other applications are greyed out, ( not enabled ). The prerequixite to this problem occured in windows media player as well as the media center. If you tried to play a Dvd, ( I have a Dell Inspiron 530, core 2 duo, 4 gb memory etc. ) it skipped in the player view window and had no sound and the only physical text refference you will get is in Media center, " Saying files necessary to play this media is missing ". That will alway lead to application path and a corrupt registry. I found that having a professional Registry repair program is essential, and one day it will pay it's worth in gold. I use Advance system Care Pro and normally I would only have 13 registry entry problems that barely diminishes any performances in the Previous Beta version. After running my usuaul scan, I had 345 registry errors. After fixing these errors and restarting my system in the debugging mode, " Wham" all systems were go and all Sound Properties were active. I also use the performance monitors that are supplied as a gadget to keep track of programs that demand excessive CPU usage and I normally have a reading anywhere between 3% up to 53%, and when this problem started after the second day after my downloading the RC Candidate, MY reading were off the scale. Long story made short, This is still a test version and we all will expeirience numerious problems and I am quite sure the boys over at MIcrosoft have expeirience the same and need our personal feedback to address these problems and come up with the final solution. One more thing I wish could be done. The ability to intergrate the registry with the previous one via having your programs embedded on a cd/dvd disk and reinstalling them back to the new OS on your current hard drive with out going through the long task of backing up your OS with the backup program presently offered. It would make the task of reinstalling your programs a breeze using Dvd's instead of restore feature and purchasing an addition Hard drive to perform this task. Maybe I am asking to much, too soon, and best be glad in what I have at hand. Wishing you and all the testers a happy computing expeirience....John:)[email protected]

I downloaded the Realtek Audio driver and codec and now I have the ability to set up my preference, but I must alway set the audio quality and default each time after a restart or shutdown. It seems that the overall solution is for the tech guys at microsoft should enhance the "Save " feature within this new setup, so when you restart, the OS system will remember your settings. John:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
audio device gone after resume from standby in Windows 7 RTM

I installed Windows 7 RTM two days ago and when my pc resumes from standby the audio device has disappeared. It is not in the Windows device manager. When I reboot the sound device has reappeared. I have Realtek HD audio integrated on my motherboard. I tried installing the latest Realtek HD audio driver 2.29 but this did not solve the issue. Vista has been running very stable for the last couple of years on my pc, so I suspect the problem is with Windows 7 RTM and / or device drivers.

I also posted about this issue here Windows 7 RTM stuttering and resume from standby problems (Vista ran fine) - The Green Button and here: Link Removed - Invalid URL.

My hardware is AOpen i945gtm-vhl motherboard (mobile intel 945 express chipset), intel gma 950 integrated graphics, intel core duo T2600 2X2.16GHz, 2Gb memory, 2 harddisks in striping mode, BlackGold dual dvb-t pci-e tuner card.

kind regards

Remco

hey

Having the same exact problem, realtek hd audio driver just disappears after waking from sleep mode.

Disappears from the device manager, can't find the drivers in the drivers folder (system32/drivers) and says no audio devices installed.

Working great so far other than this issue.

Back