Windows 7 Sleep is gone, and no suggested solutions work

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
"Sleep" is completely gone in my shutdown menu, but none of the many "solutions" I've found all over the web actually do anything for me. The main reason none of them work is because every suggestion I've seen naively assume I've disabled it one way or another rather than it being utterly gone and hence cannot possibly be re-enabled.

I've tried several alleged registry and group policy fixes, alleged Windows 7 components' fixes and the like, but of course none of them work. I need a far more extensive solution, one that somehow re-installs Sleep from scratch. Does anyone know how to do this?

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks

Last edited:
Check the following
  • Open Control Panel
  • Power Options
  • Click on "Choose what the power button does"
  • If Sleep is unchecked at the bottom you will need to check the box and click save changes
If sleep is grayed out up at the top click the link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

Check the following
  • Open Control Panel
  • Power Options
  • Click on "Choose what the power button does"
  • If Sleep is unchecked at the bottom you will need to check the box and click save changes
If sleep is grayed out up at the top click the link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

Thanks for your reply! In that control panel, next to "When I press the sleep button" the displayed pull-down menu (i.e., the current setting) is completely blank. The only other available option is "Do nothing". So Sleep is not grayed out, it is missing entirely. There is no link or anything else anywhere reading anything like "Change settings that are currently unavailable". And I mean anywhere. That's how utterly gone Sleep is.

By the way, this is a desktop system. The mobo is an Asus Z87-A, and the Sleep option shows up on every other OS on this computer, and it's also available in 64-bit Windows 7 Pro on all three of my other computers, including one that is also an Asus Z87-A and another which is an Asus Z97-A.

I mention that to assure you that the hardware is fully capable of entering Sleep state -- it's just completely unavailable on 64-bit Windows 7 Pro on this particular machine...

Back