Windows 7 Slow Display

John Marchant

Hi, Been using 7 for a few days now and seems great. However i have noticed that the dosplay seems to have slowed down. It works its just the taskbar and folders open allot slower now. I have tried restoring but no difference, wonder if anyone can offer a idea as to what it it. I have the latest display drivers from NVidia.

I have NVidia 8800 GS, Intel Quad core 2.44 processor, 8 gb ram and 5 x hard drives, 2 x samsung 225bw 22 inch widescreen displays.

Any help that does not involve a total reinstall would be very helpful.

It sounds like you are experiencing slow display performance on Windows 7 and have already updated your NVIDIA display drivers. Here are a few steps you can take to try to improve the display speed without resorting to a complete reinstallation:

1. Check for Background Processes:
- Make sure there are no unnecessary background processes consuming resources. Use Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) to check for any resource-intensive applications.

2. Update Windows and Drivers:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date with the latest updates from Microsoft.
- Apart from your NVIDIA drivers, also check if there are any updates available for your chipset drivers (Intel) and other hardware drivers.

3. Adjust Visual Effects:
- Customize the visual effects settings to optimize performance. You can adjust these settings by right-clicking on "Computer," selecting "Properties," then clicking on "Advanced system settings" and choosing the "Settings" button under the "Performance" section.

4. Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation:
- Perform disk cleanup to remove unnecessary files that may be taking up space and causing performance issues.
- Run a disk defragmentation to optimize the placement of files on the hard drive for faster access.

5. Check for Malware:
- Run a thorough antivirus scan to check for any malware that might be causing system slowdowns.

6. Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs:
- Use the System Configuration tool (msconfig) to disable startup programs that you don't need immediately at boot time. This can help in improving boot times and overall system performance.

7. Check Display Settings:
- Make sure your display settings are appropriate for your monitors. Sometimes, using very high resolutions or refresh rates can impact performance.

8. Check System Resources:
- Monitor your system resources using Task Manager to identify if any particular resource is being heavily utilized (CPU, RAM, Disk).

If you continue to experience slow display performance after trying these steps, it might be worth considering further diagnostics to pinpoint the exact cause of the slowdown.

Back