Windows XP Snipping Tool

seekermeister

Honorable Member
It's funny how it is the small things that you miss most when returning to an older OS. Apparently, it's not possible to install the Snipping Tool from MS on XP, so I have been Googling some for an alternative. However on everything that I have found so far, those alternative apps fall short of performing like the W7 version. Also some are bundled with a bunch of other software, brand the screenshots or publish them on the internet.

Does anyone know of a method or app that is free that works like W7's Snipping Tool?

davidhk129,
I've been tinkering with this some, but I think it will take a little time to get used to this. I think that I figured out how to capture a selected portion of the screen, but not how to use the other features very well. For instance, highlighting. Instead of highlighting a straight line, or inserting an arrow, it seems to only highlight a rectangular area, and as far as I have yet found, the highlight color is only yellow. Is there greater flexibility in highlighting than this?

Hope you understand what I am trying to illustrate..............

picpick ribbon.png
picpick.jpg

Okay, I was playing around with this some more between posts, and I think that I found what you are pointing to, but I'm still trying to learn to use it properly. I think I will get the hang of it eventually. It should definitely serve the purpose on my XP machine though.

While I figured out how to draw a colored line, the one thing I think is lacking is the ability to insert an arrow. Not absolutely necessary, but it would give a bit more polish to a capture. In any case, I appreciate your help.

What do you mean by " to insert an arrow "?
Please explain.

My " inserting arrow " illustration is not what you meant?

Ok. You are welcome.
Have fun using Picpick.
P.S. periodically, you will be notified to update the program. It is always free.

If I remember, it had the option to check for updates automatically during the installation, which I didn't choose...if memory serves. That is something that I do with most programs, even though it might be more convenient to let it do so.

I am using Printkey2000 for both Win 7 and Win 8. It's a portable app (no need to install). Try it. I attached it here.

Tip: if you want to capture a portion of your screen, use the RECTANGLE mode and then save it as jpeg or print it right away.

Attachments

• Printkey2000.zip
    387.1 KB · Views: 377
If I remember, it had the option to check for updates automatically during the installation, which I didn't choose...if memory serves. That is something that I do with most programs, even though it might be more convenient to let it do so.

My setup is to notify me for update.

Open Picpick > File > Program options > About > under Preference > Check for program updates > OK.

I am using Printkey2000 for both Win 7 and Win 8. It's a portable app (no need to install). Try it. I attached it here.

Tip: if you want to capture a portion of your screen, use the RECTANGLE mode and then save it as jpeg or print it right away.

Not too sure, because the moment that I extracted it from the zip, Secunia PSI squawked that it had been discontinued, and at end of life. That may not be too much of an issue, except that I don't like PSI continually squawking and not scoring the system in the green.

Up to you. Just trying to help you out. It's a portable app. It won't get installed in your system. All of the screenshots I posted here, even my sig below was captured on that app.

XP is discontinued. But people still use it. Even Win 8 has no problem with it. It has a very simple interface, too.

Last edited:
Checking for updates can only be done by calling home. Of course, that is true when you check manually, but as far as I could find, the program doesn't have the option to check manually anyway. Perhaps Secunia PSI will keep it up to date...I don't know.

Back