Windows 8 Software conflict with Windows update...

Johncoool

Extraordinary Member
This issue dates back for at least a year if not more. I did not realize the exact issue until recently. I need to pin point the exact problem so that I can solve it. At the moment the only solution seems to be is to reinstall windows and not install the software at all.

The program that is causing the issue is O&O defragmenter Ver 22. I don't know if is the program that is causing the conflict or if it the .Net Framework that is required for it to be installed.

This is the full story.

I noticed that some updates would not get installed from time to time but some would and just thought that it is a normal thing. In August of 2020 I had to reinstall Windows and I did the full update and all installed just fine. Then while I was installing the programs and it was time for O&O to be installed I got an error that it has damaged digital signature So I stopped trying to install it.

Recently I had a new issue with the O/S and reinstalled Windows again. This time I installed the program 1st and now once again I cannot install all the updates. I removed the program and all the .net framework installed but I don't know if I found the correct one as I just found two in programs and features. I still cannot install all the updates even after the uninstallation.

I need to know what is causing the conflict so that I can install the rest of the updates and if that works then I will try the newest version of O&O defragmenter.

After searching by the error I am getting on the failed updates. I found the below link which is about application conflict, but it is not showing how to find it.

The error code is: WindowsUpdate_80240055 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000

I would just personally get rid of the software. The built-in defragmenter is more than adequate for the task. It runs on a schedule and is smart enough to invoke trim on SSDs.

That is not the issue at the moment. I did uninstall the software but there are still some updates refusing to install. There are more details about it above.

If I don't find the conflict then I have to reinstall windows to get it working again.

I found a guide to reinitialize the Windows update from scratch. I will ty it as it might be required after removing the software.

If you want a semi automated method for resetting Windows updates, you can open an elevated Powershell prompt (right click Powershell and select 'Run as Administrator'). You can run the following script.

Code:
#Requires -RunAsAdministrator
$SoftwareDistro = "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"
$SoftwareDistroOld = "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old"
$CatRoot2 = "C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2"
$CatRoot2Old = "C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2.old"

Write-Host "Stopping required services..."
Stop-Service -Name "Wuauserv"
Stop-Service -Name "CryptSvc"
Stop-Service -Name "Bits"
Stop-Service -Name "MsiServer"

Write-Host "Renaming directories..."