Windows 8 (Solved) Edit List of PCs to "Copy" During Setup

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
When a new PC is started for the first time, or when a PC is "recovered" back to factory conditions and started for the first time, a list of PCs that can be used to copy settings, apps and personal stuff is shown. A week ago I bought a new PC. The list of PCs had several that I have not owned in over 6 months and the PC I am currently using was not in the list. I posted on this forum and received a link to a tutorial about Trusted PCs. I followed the tutorial and thought the issue had been resolved.

But, I just decided to set my new PC back to factory conditions and start over. And, I have the same issue with the PCs in the list. Most are old PCs I no longer own, one PC that I use is not in the list and the new PC is in the list.

So, here is another plea for a solution to this problem. How can I edit that list?

Regards, Jim

The list is at Microsoft mate... we have no control over it and can only point you back to their "help desk" pages.

Can you include a screenshot of exactly what your talking about?

I believe we're still talking about trusted devices here and there have been some changes with respect to how they are maintained.
What happened to the list of trusted devices on my security info page?
Microsoft has made some changes to how you keep track of your trusted devices. For example, you no longer have to provide a unique name for each trusted device (or remember which is which!) You can also trust as many devices as you want—there's no longer a limit.
For these reasons, we've removed the list of trusted devices from the security info page. If you don't sign in to a particular trusted device at least once every two months, we'll automatically remove it from your Microsoft account. This helps keep your account secure in the event that a trusted device is lost or stolen without you realizing it. You can always trust a device again later.
SOURCE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-trusted-device?woldogcb=0

It would seem that you no longer have the ability to remove trusted devices that are associated with your account with the exception of ...
TrustedDevices.PNG

Which can be found in the security area of your Microsoft account live signin.
Now as to why yours were still present when you have already mentioned that
The list of PCs had several that I have not owned in over 6 months
I have no explanation except perhaps that they were present in the account when the change was made and were not / are not impacted by the change.

Thanks for the replies. I just spent an hour with a MS tech on a chat session. The issue has to do with syncing PCs. There will be an entry in a file on OneDrive for any PC that has been synced. That entry will remain until you un-sync it. So, all of those PCs that I had in the past are still there. You have to have the PC in hand and un-sync it to remove it from the file.

There is one thing that may be a workaround. There is an option in OneDrive to delete backups for PCs in the file. Deleting the backup may delete the sync info and maybe those old PCs won't show up in that list on the next first ever power up.

Best regards, Jim

Back