Windows 10 SOLVED: Unable to Upload Pictures

Supercrewbear

I have a new Win10 laptop (Dell Inspiron 11) and no Win10 experience. I've tried several things to figure out why I can't upload pictures to either Facebook or Flickr. Flickr will time out and FB will eventually give me an error of some sort - it will show a progress bar for the picture but when it reaches about 90%, stalls. I have a Win7 laptop on the same network without this issue. I have tried using Internet Explorer, Edge and Firefox with the same results. I have no other internet issue that I'm aware of - I'm able to browse with no problem. The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is uninstall McAfee and install NOD32. I can't find anyone else who seems to have this issue by doing a Google search and searching this forum netted nothing either. Is there a setting I'm missing? I've gone so far as doing a factory reset with no luck. After the reset and before doing any changes I tried uploading a picture to my Flickr account and it timed out. My drivers are all up to date, Windows is up to date and I have installed the newest version of Firefox and Flash. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi

Look at what format the images are in if they are not .jpg try and open one in what ever your photo editor you use and resave it as a .jpg.

Then see if it will upload.

Also look at the size of the files, are they really large?

Try emailing an image to yourself as an attachment and see if that causes any problems.

Try moving the photos to a different folder and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know why you would have problems only in Windows 10, I've never had any issues with images in Windows 10 but that's the only things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Mike

I see that you are not the only one having this problem, a number of people have said that they can upload one image at a time, but if they try more it stalls out.

Can you upload one image at a time?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what size the JPG file is. I always upload my full size image files to Flickr as a backup (I have about 20,000 pictures there...) but on Facebook I will resize them down to just 1024x768 (100-200K). It doesn't matter which I try to upload, they won't go. One image at a time or ten, same results. As I said, my WIN7 computer works fine. I bought the new WIN10 laptop because it's much smaller for traveling.

You may want to check your network adapter drivers. If you're on a wired connection this could be the reason. Look for updated drivers for it. If its an Intel device thats built into the motherboard chances they may have posted a newer version online that is not being passed along through Windows Update.

You may want to check your network adapter drivers. If you're on a wired connection this could be the reason. Look for updated drivers for it. If its an Intel device thats built into the motherboard chances they may have posted a newer version online that is not being passed along through Windows Update.
Thanks, I will check that. I have gone to Dell's website and had it check my computer for updated drivers - it says everything is up to date the last time I did that. A week or two ago there was a new BIOS that I downloaded and installed - it didn't help this problem though. I'm on a WIFI connection. Thanks!

A wireshark capture may be needed to help determine the issue. If you do this I'd just suggest PMing it to me and not post it publicly.
  • Install wireshark Wireshark · Go Deep.
  • Open facebook to the point you would upload a photo
  • Make sure all internet related applications are closed to reduce traffic
  • Start wireshark and select your wireless interface
  • Upload picture, once it fails click the red square to stop capturing
  • File > Save As.. (.pcapng)
  • You may need to zip the file to upload it
Also run and upload the network script so we can see if there are any hidden items that may cause the issue Network Diagnostic Information

" I have no other internet issue that I'm aware of - I'm able to browse with no problem. "
supercrewbear … you stated you replaced mcafee with eset's nod32 … might be possible nod32 has some security setting/default which hampers uploading a file from your computer to internet (facebook, twitter)?

if it was me, i would temporarily turn off nod32 … at this point, windows defender should kick in automatically. now, with nod32 turned off … i'd go ahead and try uploading another small image (<100kb). if successful, you may have found the culprit.

supercrewbear … you stated you replaced mcafee with eset's nod32 … might be possible nod32 has some security setting/default which hampers uploading a file from your computer to internet (facebook, twitter)?

if it was me, i would temporarily turn off nod32 … at this point, windows defender should kick in automatically. now, with nod32 turned off … i'd go ahead and try uploading another small image (<100kb). if successful, you may have found the culprit.

I tried disabling NOD32 with no effect.

Okay, I have figured out what the problem was by accident. When I first uninstalled McAfee and installed NOD32 (v10) I started getting a blue screen error that had a message of BAD POOL CALLER. It was only doing that while browsing the internet on any browser. It would do it each time I installed NOD32 v10. (I was simply downloading their latest version.) I spent three hours one evening with an Eset tech who finally decided there was some problems with version 10 and sent me a version 8 copy of the installer to use temporarily. I've been using it since - this particular laptop is only about 2-3 weeks old at this time. I've avoided using a newer version though NOD32 kept asking if I wanted to update to the latest version. This evening I noticed the version they are calling their newest is v9. So I let it go through with the update. That was evidently the problem - I'm now able to upload. There must be an issue with v8 and Win10 and uploading though I searched online and never found anything. Eset must have pulled v10 until they can get it fixed.

So, I'm back in business! Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom