Sound Menu won't open

I have been having troubles with the sound menu recently. I am running a stereo with an optical cable and a HDMI output. Both of them work. However I can not easily switch between them like I used to be able to. I have the most up to date driver from Realtek (Nov 5, 09).
When I select the sound menu from the control panel nothing happens. I have to go into volume control to change my devices and it doesn't always work.
I hope this is enough information. If not please tell me if I need to provide any other info.
Thanks!

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
A snapshot of your playback devices might help. Right click on the speaker icon and select playback devices. I do not have an HDMI output, but it seems you would need to select either SPDIF or Speakers/HP, unless you have another device.

Where does you HDMI sound come from, is that just another output from the on board audio?

Wish I could take a snap shot, but the playback devices menu won't even open, thats the problem. When I get home later I will open up the sound menu and take a snap shot of the devices. As far as i can remember, the HDMI output is based on the ATI HD Audio Driver and the Stereo output is the regular Realtek HD Audio Output.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.