Windows 10 Sound Problems in Window 10/Mac

Sonny

Excellent Member
I have downloaded Windows 10 through Mac Boot Camp on a Mac. Everything works fine except one program I downloaded. I can't get any sound out of it. I am a paranormal investigator and all works fine except my SCD2 program. I have no sound. My audio is Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB 82). Question I have can I replace my audio with another audio system? I am not to savvy in this department. Sound is fine on everything else.

Hi Sonny,
Is your Cirrus Logic a discrete card or a chip? Generally speaking, Mac hardware is not removable except on older Macs such as the Quadras, certain iMacs, etc. It would be helpful to know the exact Mac model you have, since there have been so many of them. Have you contacted the software maker of SCD2, to see if their program is W10 certified? Mac repairs are quite expensive compared to PCs which I'm sure you already know. And you need special tools to disassemble them. (I used to have them 20 years ago, but got out of fixing Macs). Are you planning on swapping out the Sound card if discrete or paying a licensed Mac Tech to do so? If it's a discrete card swap-out, you're probably looking at $200 or more to do the swap-out of the hardware. Does the SCD2 come with a list of compatible Mac sound cards or on their website?

'Cause for $200, you could buy yourself a pretty good refurbished Dell desktop with W7 on it and easily upgrade to W10 and then run your SCD2 app on a native PC instead of a simulator. Another issue I've run into is that not all Macs capable of running Boot Camp have the actual Intel CPU chip in them; some of the Macs had that simulator running on the Motorola CPU. In that case, you would have to replace your Mac with one that came with the Intel CPU chip on the Motherboard and try running the SCD2 app in Boot Camp mode. That would be a LOT more expensive than just getting a used Windows PC and upgrading to W10.:cash:

Another thing you can try is if you have a PC lying around or that you could borrow from a friend, neighbor, family member, etc. you could download your app and test it on their W10 (maybe bribe them with a 6-pack of beer!). If the sound doesn't work on that W10 PC, it could be that the SCD2 app wasn't fully compliant with W10, or at least their audio codecs and drivers weren't written properly. In this case, it wouldn't be worth all the trouble to try my above solutions (swap out the Mac Audio Card if it has one, or buy a used W7 PC and upgrade to W10). But, at least you'd know it's a problem with your app, W10 incompatible etc. for the price of a 6-pack! ;)
Is there a similar app available for a paid license or a free trial version from a different company that you could use?

Those are my thoughts. Perhaps one of our Mac gurus can chime in with another opinion.
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Hi BIGBEARJEDI, It is a MacBook Pro mid 2012. The program does work on W10 as I tried it on my Desktop. I am going to take your suggestion and just pick up another used Win 10 Laptop. SCD2 is just a windows program.

Hi Sonny,
Looking at the specs here: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP649?locale=en_US
I can't tell if it's a dual-CPU configuration (Motorola & Intel) or not. We'll need an Apple-Certified tech who repairs these on a daily basis to answer that as I just don't know. I do have Customers who have had to ditch their Mac when trying to run a native-Windows app in that Boot Camp simulator on a Mac that doesn't physically have the Intel CPU in it. When they come to me and ask, I gave them that same advice I gave to you--if you can't get it to run on the Mac and it's an app designed to run in Windows; why not buy a used Windows PC and run it there? And the other thing about Mac users who come to me with those kinds of questions seem to vanish into a Black Hole and I never hear from them ever again to let me know what the outcome and final result if any could be had. Without working on them, I really don't know for sure.

Let us know how the app works on the new laptop.:up:
BBJ

I put it on another computer last night and it is working great. As for my Mac, I like it but feel much more comfortable with windows since that is all I have owned.

Back
Top Bottom