Windows 7 Space available on a triple SSD (40GB each) in RAID 0 keeps changing

johnr6

Honorable Member
A couple of weeks ago I got a message that I had virtually no space on my C drive (3 x 40GB SSD in RAID 0). This was a big surprise. I am running Windows 7 PRO. I removed some restore points to get back to 7 GB of free space. I then did a disk cleanup to get to 11 GB. Since then, the free space has varied between 11 GB & 17 GB without anything to explain this.
The free space can change within hours of doing nothing!

Could this be explained by a failing of 1 of the SSD's? I know that if it fails totally, my system will be toast. Are there other possible explanations for this strange behavior? Thanks for any advice. By the way, my Windows EXPERIENCE INDEX for the primary disk is max @ 7.9

Hi,
try reducing the size of your restore point partition. This is relatively easy to do by opening the run command, type sysdm.cpl and then click on system protection followed by the configure tab. I think by default it's set to 2% or similar so using the slider I simply reduce it as far as it will go which is only 1% but you will get some more space for the SSD.

Hi,
try reducing the size of your restore point partition. This is relatively easy to do by opening the run command, type sysdm.cpl and then click on system protection followed by the configure tab. I think by default it's set to 2% or similar so using the slider I simply reduce it as far as it will go which is only 1% but you will get some more space for the SSD.

I have already done that. The question is not aimed at getting more space, it is aimed at getting insight into the cause of the varying available space.

doubtful my reply will be of much help …

could be the win-7 paging file … could be hibernation mode … could be system-restore … could be environmental causes as well (software, hardware, equipment-failure, etc.). and, make no mistake, we appreciated the info you did share in your opening post, johnr6.

it may have been helpful if you had included just a bit more info … such as:
  • if your win-7 computer came with 3 ssd's or … did you add them at later date
  • if you had modded your computer with any other hardware
  • are you running laptop or desktop
  • do you have add'l hard-drive storage available
another obvious factor is age of the computer and ssd-drives … etc.

at any rate … while i am not giving you any concrete answers, johnr6 … my intent is to offer things to ponder or reference with. also, i did find a bit of info that you can research further at your convenience:
btw, johnr6 … thanks to your input and many other internet users out there … i had planned on modding my personal laptop with ssd … but, the more i hear, the less enthused i have become about the prospect.

and good luck!

First off pnamajck, let me assure you that my computing experience with ssd's has been nothing short of incredible. My computer is unbelievably fast. Windows loads in 30 sec. My DESKTOP system is custom built by POLYWELL. Everything is original, nothing added. System is 6 years old & there have been no problems. The system has a 500GB data drive. Today, I could replace my three 40GB ssd's in RAID 0 with a single 250 GB drive which would probably be as fast or faster than the RAID 0 array. Anyway, my real concern (which no one has commented on) is whether one of the SSD's might be on the verge of failing. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi,
As mentioned, we did give you explanations for randomly increasing drive usage. Re-read kemical's post, he mentions adjusting your Paging file via adjusting the size of the file in your Restore Point options. This is one of the most common errors people have, especially using a small drive such as a 40GB. That's a very small bootdrive footprint for Win7.

In terms of whether or not your SSD drive is failing, have you tested any of the 3 drives in your RAID configuration? With what diagnostic utility? Did you attempt to test the 3 drives as one unit while running the RAID? If so, this will give you inconclusive results. In order to test, you'll have to remove 2 of the 3 RAID drives from your PC, and test 1 SSD drive at a time with the appropriate diagnostic for your particular SSD drive. See the link here for those instructions: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Best,:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

First off pnamajck, let me assure you that my computing experience with ssd's has been nothing short of incredible. My computer is unbelievably fast. Windows loads in 30 sec. My DESKTOP system is custom built by POLYWELL. Everything is original, nothing added. System is 6 years old & there have been no problems. The system has a 500GB data drive. Today, I could replace my three 40GB ssd's in RAID 0 with a single 250 GB drive which would probably be as fast or faster than the RAID 0 array. Anyway, my real concern (which no one has commented on) is whether one of the SSD's might be on the verge of failing. Thanks for your suggestions.

Have you checked each drives SMART status? Also an application called 'Speedfan' has an interesting feature. It has a SMART section through which you will get a mini report online about the state of the drive in question. As your running in RAID 0 I'm not sure whether it will see just the one 120GB disk or 3xGB.

My computer is unbelievably fast. Windows loads in 30 sec.
Hmm not wanting to burst any bubbles here but 30 seconds isn't actually that fast.. My pc, which isn't the fastest, boots in 6 seconds.

I ran the INTEL SSD TOOLBOX & the SMART results are excellent. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom