ssd-drives vulnerable to attacks …

pnamajck

Honorable Member
just wanting to run this past you guys … this post is straight from our good friends at bleepingcomputer.com … and the issue is in regards to the inherent vulnerabilities with current ssd-drives.

i don't have much to say, since i do not own an ssd-drive … there's at least two different exploitation methods … that number could possibly rise in the future. pls read the article yourself and decide how you wish to address the visage for your own personal environment.

for additional technical aspects … there is a *.pdf file included at the bottom of the above article. i have also included a link to that file below as courtesy … remember to scan the file using virustotal.com

https://people.inf.ethz.ch/omutlu/pub/flash-memory-programming-vulnerabilities_hpca17.pdf

I didn't read the whole thing. But the conclusion seems to say all we can do is wait and hope they develop a hardware fix for this then buy a new one after they become available. I guess we can also hope that Microsoft and the Antivirus vendors can block any exploits that could leverage this vulnerability.

How scary does this sound to other SSD users in this community?

Can't find a CVE or CVSS sore on it yet. I doubt it's network exploitable so the associated risk is probably pretty low.

I double check it and it seems really legit. Cannot use SSD right now the since the price is double to HDD.

Back