Windows 7 Start menu graphics glitch, clear (blank) menus

mdmower

I wonder if anyone else experiences a graphics glitch which I see quite often:

When open the start menu and click on Games or Recent Items, I'm often greeted with a clear menu... I can't see any of the icons. It's as if Aero is starting it's fancy translucency --> opaque transition, but never finishes. I've attached a screenshot as an example. Closing the start menu and reopening often solves the problem.

[Windows 7 Pro 64bit, AMD Catalyst 10.2 on HD4830]
Link Removed due to 404 Error

You can just see the outline of the menu, but it never loads.

The funny thing is that I experienced this issue back when I was using Vista on a completely different computer. [Windows Vista SP1 32bit, nVidia Forceware 175.97 on GeForce 8600M GT]

Here's an old picture,

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, found a resolution?

I've got the exact same problem. Strangely enough, my friend who bought an almost identical computer at the same time does not. Because of this I had thought my graphics card was the culprit... but you had this on two completely different set ups so I guess not (although it's still possible, however unlikely).

Edit, forgot: My hard drive was defective and gave up after a week so I had it replaced. Installed everything from scratch again. The glitch was present in both installs of windows.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Radeon HD 5700: Catalyst 10.2 (same when I had 10.1)

One more difference maybe. I'm using wide-screen screen, 1680*1050. If memory serves, my friend has 1280*1024.

Another picture, showing only one "step" glitched out:

Last edited:
One more difference maybe. I'm using wide-screen screen, 1680*1050. If memory serves, my friend has 1280*1024.
You're definitely seeing the same glitch as me. The computers I'm using both experience it, and both have widescreen resolutions: 1920x1080 and 1680x1050.

Back