Windows 7 Start menu with quick search slow down pc and seem to be stopped working !

phamtuanchip

i usually use quick search on search program and files on Start menu, but any time i type the keyword my pc slow down and stop working, and i have to end task for explorer to refresh my desktop , does anyone have idea ?

:( I have a similar issue. The search facility on Windows Vista is very fast, with items appearing as I type. In Windows 7 the search is VERY slow. My computer doesn't fail, just takes a long time to find stuff. Indexing is enabled.

in explorer, go to file>folder and search options
go to search tab
see if you have "always search file names and contents" (second option) selected
default is first selected.

i had slow search from start bar too, but after i switched to second option, it restored the fast search. nonetheless, search doesn't seem to work for me. i can't actually search in my file contents...not sure why. as in, i have certain words i'm searching for in a word document, but search doesn't pick it up when it's indexed. it only searches file names and descriptions.

in explorer, go to file>folder and search options
go to search tab
see if you have "always search file names and contents" (second option) selected
default is first selected.

i had slow search from start bar too, but after i switched to second option, it restored the fast search. nonetheless, search doesn't seem to work for me. i can't actually search in my file contents...not sure why. as in, i have certain words i'm searching for in a word document, but search doesn't pick it up when it's indexed. it only searches file names and descriptions.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I checked my file settings and the second option was selected. Do you have your folder permissions set so that they are available to you? I had a struggle in the beginning searching for files on an alternative drive. I discovered the files were hidden and not available. I can now see all my files, but the Start Button search takes ages (relatively speaking). In Vista I'd got used to finding applications using the search function and they always came up quickly. Beta's have glitches I expect but I hope this one gets sorted out.

yea you want to select the first option.

oh and i fixed my problem!

jumping off your idea, i checked my folder properties and had to check "allow file contents to be indexed"...now it works :)

Last edited:
Back