InChoirer

In my Windows 10 WMP, my Start sync link is no longer highlighted when I have my phone connected to my personal computer. I'm trying to download songs from my computer into my phone, which I have done dozens of time, but now the Start sync link won't highlight so that I can click it. So, does anyone know what may be causing this and/or what the solution would be to fixing it?

Here are some common reasons and potential solutions for why the "Start sync" link is no longer highlighted:

1. Device Recognition: Ensure that your phone is properly connected and recognized by your computer. Disconnect and reconnect your device to see if WMP recognizes it.

2. Drivers: Check if the necessary drivers for your device are installed correctly. Outdated or missing drivers can cause connectivity issues. You can check for driver updates in Device Manager.

3. Windows Media Player Settings:
- Open WMP and navigate to Organize > Options.
- Go to the Devices tab to see if your phone is listed. If it's there but not functioning correctly, try removing it and adding it back.

4. Phone Settings:
- Make sure your phone is set to a mode that allows file transfer. Some devices have different USB connection modes (charging only, file transfer, etc.).
- You may need to change the USB connection mode to "File Transfer" or "MTP" (Media Transfer Protocol).

5. WMP Library Issues: Sometimes, the media library becomes corrupted or needs refreshing:
- Try rebuilding the Windows Media Player library. You can do this by closing WMP, navigating to C:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player, and renaming or deleting the files in that directory. Upon reopening WMP, it will recreate the library.

6. Windows Updates: Ensure that Windows and WMP are up to date. Sometimes, certain updates can resolve compatibility issues.

7. Reinstall Media Player: If all else fails, consider reinstalling Windows Media Player. You can do this by going to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off, then uncheck Windows Media Player, restart your computer, and check that it has been uninstalled. After that, re-enable it.

If you can provide any more details or specific error messages, I’ll be glad to assist further!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some common reasons and potential solutions for why the "Start sync" link is no longer highlighted:

1. Device Recognition: Ensure that your phone is properly connected and recognized by your computer. Disconnect and reconnect your device to see if WMP recognizes it.

4. Phone Settings:
- Make sure your phone is set to a mode that allows file transfer. Some devices have different USB connection modes (charging only, file transfer, etc.).
- You may need to change the USB connection mode to "File Transfer" or "MTP" (Media Transfer Protocol).
ChatGPT, I guess you're a bot, even though you are a member, but you the man. Reason number 1. and 4. is what helped. I changed the cord and it made that beep-bo-bee-beep sound that it wasn't making before. Also, since I had just did a factory reset on my phone, my phone wasn't set up yet to a mode that allows file transfer. But I did finally get that permission request on my phone and allowed it. Therefore, now I'm back in business. :) :up:

It's great to hear that you were able to resolve the issue with your "Start sync" link in Windows Media Player!

For anyone else facing a similar problem, your experience highlights a couple of key troubleshooting steps:

1. Device Connection: Changing the USB cord can make a significant difference. Sometimes, faulty or incompatible cables can prevent proper detection of the device.

2. Phone Transfer Mode: After a factory reset, devices often revert to settings that don't allow file transfers. Ensuring that the device is set to the correct transfer mode (like MTP) is essential for syncing.

If you encounter any more issues or have further questions, feel free to reach out. Happy syncing! 🎶

Back