Windows 7 Start up softwares taking longer than usual?

Abey Austin

Hi,
I've a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows 7,
it usually completes booting (after loading all the start up softs) in 35-40 seconds,
but few weeks back I gave my laptop for service (keyboard replacement due to a jammed key) and when I got it back it,
It takes around 80-100 seconds to complete its boot !
I don't know what happened, I checked the start up programs, but It haven't changed
Usually all the start-up software loads quickly. Now, it takes like 5-10 seconds each after a software (say GoogleTalk) to load after it loads another software (like Bluetooth Devices).
I cleaned up caches and all using CCleaner and Run a Full scan with McAfee but didn't find any problems.
Sometimes the Windows welcome tone plays only after 20-30 seconds after it finishes boot!
(I believe the "Starting Windows" & "Welcome" screen loads as usual)

Its getting pretty annoying sometimes :(

Can any experts find me a Solution for this (to fasten / restore the speed of start-up software loading)? :-(

Thanks in Advance!
Regards,
Abey ☺

@Abey Austin ,
One of my laptops is a Dell Inspiron. But, that is beside the point.

Suggestion : That is what I do with both my laptops.
Instead of shutting down the laptop when done, I set it to Sleep.
Next time I need to use it, open the lid > sign in > it comes back to life in less than 3 sec.

@Abey Austin ,
One of my laptops is a Dell Inspiron. But, that is beside the point.

Suggestion : That is what I do with both my laptops.
Instead of shutting down the laptop when done, I set it to Sleep.
Next time I need to use it, open the lid > sign in > it comes back to life in less than 3 sec.

Thanks for the Suggestion David :) I only started having this problem since I gave the laptop for service.
Yeah I do that often, but I travel with my laptop a lot, read somewhere that It's harm for the HDD to put the Lap on Sleep :eek:
Probably not true! ☺

If the problems appeared after the service, the first thing might to get it back there? They all have a guarantee for the work they do? Just make a complaint.

If the problems appeared after the service, the first thing might to get it back there? They all have a guarantee for the work they do? Just make a complaint.

Yes, I thought of doing that but I moved from that place, and its more than 150Kms from here now. :distrust:
And my guarantee is gonna expire next month!

I tried Advance System Care and surprisingly it helped speeding up the start-up by 40%? Thanks @Teemocaptain :)

Yes, I thought of doing that but I moved from that place, and its more than 150Kms from here now. :distrust:
And my guarantee is gonna expire next month!

I tried Advance System Care and surprisingly it helped speeding up the start-up by 40%? Thanks @Teemocaptain :)
You are welcome, my computer also is Dell, so I was maddenin to this problem, I think we should complain it on the website of Dell, hahaha~;)

hey man, sometimes the startup programs are actually un-wanted... to make your booting a little faster, disable some of your startup programs ? if not needed..

Windows --> System Configuration -->Startup --> Check/Un-Check programs --> Apply --> OK

hey man, sometimes the startup programs are actually un-wanted... to make your booting a little faster, disable some of your startup programs ? if not needed..

Windows --> System Configuration -->Startup --> Check/Un-Check programs --> Apply --> OK

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, but I've already did that, I have only like 6/7 programs now.. it was 10+ before :)

Guys, this is another thing which delays the start-up, on start-up all the destop & taksbar icons are refreshed automatically, this might take upto 20 seconds to finish :S
I've attached a screenshot of it below :)

XzfrzsA.jpg

By your screen shot, I see your using McAfee for your AV. McAfee is known to be a resource hog. As an experiment, I would uninstall McAfee and install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and test that for at least a week and compare the bootup times with McAfee and MSE.

Also, I see you use google talk, disable that from running/turning on at startup, if you can and try Skype, btw is now MS product (MS bought out Skype to replace messenger with). Google Talk seems to be a little bit my system resource hungry then Skype is, on my system anyway.

Guys, this is another thing which delays the start-up, on start-up all the destop & taksbar icons are refreshed automatically, this might take upto 20 seconds to finish :S
I've attached a screenshot of it below :)

XzfrzsA.jpg

Everything that appears on your desktop such as those widgets can also drag your speed down. It takes time for those widgets to update and load up. You may want to disable your widgets too.

Never ever use a built-in anti-virus. They work okay but they are also the main cause of system slow down.

Last edited:
By your screen shot, I see your using McAfee for your AV. McAfee is known to be a resource hog. As an experiment, I would uninstall McAfee and install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and test that for at least a week and compare the bootup times with McAfee and MSE.

Also, I see you use google talk, disable that from running/turning on at startup, if you can and try Skype, btw is now MS product (MS bought out Skype to replace messenger with). Google Talk seems to be a little bit my system resource hungry then Skype is, on my system anyway.

Hey, Thanxs for the reply :)
I tried that already. It does helps to increase the speed, but only say 10% (Only the time McAfee used to load, not increasing the speed of other startup apps :/). McAfee is usually the first program that starts up. I've been using it for almost 10 months now. And I also tried Disabling Gtalk from start-up, but it didn't help either! :-\ McAfee and Gtalk is the only 2 programs which loads flawlessly now. :omg_smile: :p
My issue have only started when I gave the laptop for a Keyboard Replacement.
I'm not sure if the store guys did anything wrong :eek: I also noticed I got my laptop back in sleep mode (due to low battery)

Everything that appears on your desktop such as those widgets can also drag your speed down. It takes time for those widgets to update and load up. You may want to disable your widgets too.

Never ever use a built-in anti-virus. They work okay but they are also the main cause of system slow down.

Hey, Thanks for that tip! disabling them did helped to increase the bootspeed! Cause they used to load in the end of the booting process. But STILL all other icons (Network, sound & battery) loads slow as usual :-\

And Btw, by "built-in anti-virus" you mean MSE or anything? I installed McAfee by myself. I had Avast or Avg (I dont remember) as stock when I got the lap. :scratch:

Back