Windows 7 startup Win7 & CPU stress

ducy

Hay
Question:
I have Win 7 (ultimate x64) on my laptop (HP Pavilion). When I start the Win. something is “burdeningâ€Â￾ the system and because of that the computer is loud (cooler). Whole thing comes down in appx.4 min. and than computer runes smoothly – quietly.
What could be the reason? Are windows doing some scan in the background or what?? In the Task Manager I can’t se any process that would extremely occupying processor or something.
I also have NOD 4 installed … could this be the reason for some scanning. Before that I had Vista and NOD 3 and were no such problem.

Thanks
Best
D.

I'm using Eset Smart Security v4.0.437.0 (Nod 32 with firewall) and the startup scan on mine goes for about 10 seconds. It uses 100% of my single core processor power for that time but it finishes rather quickly. I'd say a 4 minute startup scan is not normal.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd say that 4 min is not normal. But I'm afraid that NOD is not responsible for that, I guess that windows are doing something in the background.

How much memory do you offer to win7 64?

Take this information from:
control panel -> System and Security -> amount of RAM and processor speed

Last edited:
Hay

I'm not on my laptop currently.
I did not understand fully your question... did you mean how much RAM do I have (recognized).
I have 4GB and Windows recognizes all of them. The processor is DualCore2 - 2,4

Look under the startup tab in Msconfig and see what is starting. Many third party applications put their products in there, when it is totally unneeded to have them available and resident. (Java update, Itunes, Acrobat etc)
However, if this is a new installation, it could be the index service initialising, (This will quickly improve, but I have never encountered a 4 minute delay!), or it could be the defragmentation utility. But this is normall,by default, only one day a week.
My personal view is, (apart from what you may find in MSconfig) that you have your anti virus configured for a partial scan, as an option. Fastest way to check that would be to totally disable the Anitvirus and boot up again.

Last edited:
Sometimes, especially on Laptops, memory is used / shared for the graphics interface, then it happens that you might get the information: "1 GB Memory installed 0.5 GB available", which would be a little too less.

But anyway 4 GB available Memory is quite fine and enough.

I only had this effect twice. First with low memory, second with a docking station, where the ethernet network interface was using ressources.

Thanks guys. I'll check it when I'll get home to my laptop. I really hope to find out what’s occupying my computer, otherwise I’ll have to reinstall the whole thing or go back to Vista, because it’s bothering me too much.
Hear ya later.

If someone comes up with any idea, you are welcome :)

I have tryed evrything but no luck :( I even di a new - fresh install of W7, but nothing :( it's still burdering the system.

Back