Windows 7 Supplement disk utility problem!

lokistorm

Hey,

I recieved my Sony Vaio Windows 7 disks today, put the first one in and it started doing some install thing for supplement disk (said 1/12) but then froze for ages, so I tried closing it. When I attempted to start the installation again, I now receive this error:

"The supplement disk utility has stopped and cannot continue because the main C: drive partition information is not avaliable. Restore your computer to the original factory settings and try using the supplement disk utility again."

What's gone wrong? And should I restore to factory settings? If so, how do I do this? Never had to do it before.

Thanks.

Have the same problem with German Win 7 update

Sorry, I have no solution, but I get the German version of this error (MSG-008 in Sony\AutorunLang.ini):
"Das Dienstprogramm auf dem Ergänzungsdatenträger konnte die Informationen für die Partition des Hauptlaufwerks C: nicht abrufen und kann deshalb nicht fortgesetzt werden.\nStellen Sie Ihren Computer wieder auf die ursprünglichen Werkseinstellungen her und versuchen Sie das Dienstprogramm auf dem Ergänzungsdatenträger noch einmal zu starten."

I had removed my recovery partition and replaced my HDD with a SSD.
- I did clone the system 1:1 from HDD to SSD
- I did restore my recovery partition to the SSD (via Acronis True Image) - the problem still exists

Have you done similar changes to your system?

My Sony is a VAIO P VGN-P11Z/W running Vista.

Last edited:
Are you saying they sent you 12 DVD's to install Windows 7?

Well, that may be true as I received 4 DVD's to restore my HP.

The Sony must have a ton of pre-installed applications.

What happens when you restart without the DVD in the drive?

Last edited:
I guess he meant 1/2 (there is a Supplement DVD and the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD).

I have digged it down a bit with Process Explorer. The install program calls IRP_MJ_FILE_SYSTEM_CONTROL, with FS_FSCTL_IS_VOLUME_MOUNTED => for my laptop it then probably checks for the original HDD (which is no longer installed). I guess therefore it fails.

So for me it might mean that I have to reinstall my HDD first, then update and then again migrate to my SSD... arghh!

In case I find a way to trick this via registry, I will let you know.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit of a tech noob, so not sure about HDD and SSD.

Should I just do what it says and revert back to factory settings and try again? I think it was part my fault, for closing it during the install process. Now whenever I put the CD in it just comes up with that error and the CD ejects; whereas, before I obviously got it up to that install bit.

You don't have to worry about the SSD, it's solid state hard drive, which are newer.
Am sure your probably using SATA drives

In terms of the Windows 7 installation or just in general? Obviously for the former, I require the DVD to install it so nothing has changed in that area, everything is still Vista. For the latter, everything appears to be pretty normal. I have no visible problems; however, there might be something wrong considering it errors me whenever I attempt to install the DVD, whereas before (as I mentioned previously) it started the installation process with no real problems, apart from a freeze which I stupidly didn't wait for and closed the installation.

Try putting the disk in the tray, but don't restart,

Use Windows Explorer to select the DVD-ROM drive. Now double-click on the setup.exe file.

Try putting the disk in the tray, but don't restart,

Use Windows Explorer to select the DVD-ROM drive. Now double-click on the setup.exe file.

The only file like that is 'autorun', when pressing that it just does the same thing and comes up with the same error.

Should I reset to factory settings and try again?

Yes, I would reset it to factory specs.

Since you purchased those disks from Sony they should give you support for free.

It could be that the first disk is bad.

Problem Solved

I figured this out last night while getting this error on both occasions where the supplement disc was needed, froze, forced to quit and then produced the error message upon being used again.

Basically I used the System restore feature found in both Vista and Windows 7 and pushed my computer back to a restore point just before I put the disc in. After completing the restore the supplement disc worked with no problem whatsoever.

Using Windows 7 or Vista System Restore :: the How-To Geek

Bear in mind the supplement disc locked up on me not only the first time its needed to delete the drivers, but also the second time to update Windows 7, I restored my computer to say an hour before I put the disc in on both occasions and it worked both times after doing this, it definitely works!

DO NOT fully restore to original factory settings, simply restore to a point just before you tried to use the supplement disc.

Good luck, right now I'm enjoying Windows 7!

Hey,

I recieved my Sony Vaio Windows 7 disks today, put the first one in and it started doing some install thing for supplement disk (said 1/12) but then froze for ages, so I tried closing it. When I attempted to start the installation again, I now receive this error:

"The supplement disk utility has stopped and cannot continue because the main C: drive partition information is not avaliable. Restore your computer to the original factory settings and try using the supplement disk utility again."

What's gone wrong? And should I restore to factory settings? If so, how do I do this? Never had to do it before.

Thanks.

I had the same problem in Italy with the same message (in Italian language).
The "customer caring center" told me that the problem is that there is an old VISTA recovery partition on Disk C.
That is true. I'm tring to delete, but I had always the same experience.
Now I'm tring with acronis to merge in just one partition.

I have the same problem as you maudeg. I have restored the system to an earlier time, but I still always get the same error message about 'the Supplement disc utility has stopped and cannot continue because the main C: drive partition information is not available'....etc.

I can also see the old hidden Vista partition. If I format or delete this partition, you think the supplement disc will run correctly?

I have emailed VAIO support but the earliest they will reply will be Monday.

Regards,

Sean

VAIO supplement disc error

Update.

Having spoke with Sony, I had to reinstall Vista using the recovery disks and go through the entire Windows 7 Upgrade process again! I have all my data backed up, but I really wish I had a full disc image to restore to since the recovery discs put my VAIO into it's factory state (complete with all the Sony bloatware!) and it took a long time getting everything where I wanted it prior to the upgrade.

According to Sony there is no other alternative to this problem.

This time, after Windows 7 was installed, the Sony supplement disc ran fine but it takes a very long time! It ran for over an hour in my case on a VAIO AW31XYQ, but at least it worked. Be patient: at times I was sure it had frozen up but obviously any attempt to abort the process will cause the supplement disc error.

After the supplement disc was done I restarted, but then I had a problem of the admin account being deactivated and I couldn't log onto the system at all! :eek: Fortunately, I found an instruction online on how to use safe mode with a command prompt to solve the issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Sean

the Supplement disc utility has stopped and cannot continue because the main C: drive

I have the exact same problem as decribed below. I think this upgrade is not fit for purpose and we should all demand our money back (its only £20 but its the principle). In my case, I inserted the solitary Sony upgrade DVD disc and when it had installing 1/12 I then went to bed. When I woke up next day, the Sony had gone into sleep mode, I had to press the flashing orange button so it went green and then login as normal. Checked with Task Manager, nothing running. No messages, nothing. When I logged in I noticed it still said Vista Home Premium. CRAP !

Notes.
I created 3 recovery discs before I started.

I backed up my top level directory 'martin' under which documents, pictures, video directories etc; all live

I do not have my programs backed up.

Now I will also contact Sony Support and hope they got bogged down with the same enquiry and get it righ next time.

I think I am now going Mac.....:D

I figured this out last night while getting this error on both occasions where the supplement disc was needed, froze, forced to quit and then produced the error message upon being used again.

Basically I used the System restore feature found in both Vista and Windows 7 and pushed my computer back to a restore point just before I put the disc in. After completing the restore the supplement disc worked with no problem whatsoever.

Using Windows 7 or Vista System Restore :: the How-To Geek

Bear in mind the supplement disc locked up on me not only the first time its needed to delete the drivers, but also the second time to update Windows 7, I restored my computer to say an hour before I put the disc in on both occasions and it worked both times after doing this, it definitely works!

DO NOT fully restore to original factory settings, simply restore to a point just before you tried to use the supplement disc.

Good luck, right now I'm enjoying Windows 7!

This didn't work for me even though I've tried restoring it several times. I still keep getting this message:
"The Supplement Disc utility is unable to retrieve the main C: drive partition information and cannot continue. Restore your computer to the original factory settings and try the Supplement Disc utility again."
Someone, please help!

system restore did not complete successfully

I tried multiple restore points and after it goes through the normal process of a restore it finishes with an error message

an unspecified error occurred during sytem restore.

wasted a day on this so far :)

Mac computing here I come .......

Re: system restore did not complete successfully

I am trying to update to Windows 7 and my Sony VGN-CS21S/R has been performing the first "Supplement Disk Utility" operation for 23 minutes now. I brought up Windows Explorer about 5 mins ago and the contents of the HDD appeared to be unchanged when I looked around briefly on C:\ . Can someone tell me what the heck this "Supplement Disk Utility" does and how long does it normally take to finish. It's got my HDD light on constantly and is consuming a lot but not all of the CPU.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Back