Windows 10 System file checker

mike21

Honorable Member
I am having trouble with a new upgrade in that occasionally the computer spontaneously re-boots and produces a blue screen, I tried to run sfc.exe /scannow from the run box but all that happens is a flash over the desktop. I suspect it is because I am not running as administrator. How can I check and if this is the problem how do I temporarily run as administrator.

Hey Mike,
if you right click the start menu icon you'll see a list appear and from that you can choose 'admin command prompt' or simply do a search for command prompt right click on the results and click run as admin.
If you would like the blue screens debugged then post the dump files. These can be found in a folder marked minidump in the main Windows folder. If you can't find it then you probably need to change your setting slightly so that they are produced each time you bsod.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You'll also need a pagefile of at least 200mb for dump files to be produced

This thread has further information and an application to help you collect the data needed:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

I also moved your thread to the correct section.

Thank you. I can now run sfc, which I will do tomorrow. I have six dump files. I have copied the information you gave, together with help on the BSOD problem, which I thought I had left behind with Windows 98 years ago.

Thanks for the update Mike, if you should want any further help then simply post back with the dump files zipped up.

Thank you. I ran sfc and nothing was found. I tried to download W7F diagnostic tool.zip but my anti virus quarantined it as a trojan. I over-rode that and right-clicked but there was no option to run as administrator. I "opened" the file and the grab screen appeared but could get no further. I thought the computer was set to run as administrator but do not know how to check - if that is the problem.

Hi,
are you sure you didn't miss the 'run as admin' option?
admin.jpg

You can check what type of account you have by looking in the control panel under 'User Acccounts'.

I am administrator, but all I get by right-clicking on the W7F exe icon is open, cut, copy, delete, properties - there is no windows icon as shown in your screenshot, only the file icon. I have located the minidump folder and zipped the files as attached. After the first five I used Restore and since then the only instance has been during a boot up when the bsod appeared and the computer re-booted - successfully.

Attachments

• Minidump.7z
    145.8 KB · Views: 345
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffd00021ddb104, 0, fffff80045214f23, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for stdriverx64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for stdriverx64.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : stdriverx64.sys ( stdriverx64+4f23 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files are the same and have a probable cause of:
stdriverx64.sys Thu Jul 17 07:44:51 2014: SoundTap filter driver
Capture Audio/Music with SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder

However, I have a feeling that the above driver is simply a red herring as the dump file also states 'Could not read faulting driver name'.. Bugcheck 50 main causes are faulty hardware, faulty system service, NTFS issues and Anti-Virus issues.
Now I notice you have AVG AV installed as well as 360 Total security AV and i just wonder if there is a conflict?

Please remove both AV applications and just use the onboard Defender (which is basically a copy of Microsofts server AV and better than previous incarnations) as this is ultra stable.
If the bsod's continue try removing or updating the driver above.

Post any new dump files.

Many thanks. I have 360 total security anti-virus, AVG link scanner, Malwarebytes anti-exploit and Malwarebytes anti-malware installed. All four programs are the free versions - is the link scanner a possible conflict and unnecessary. I have had the situation when I opened a utube video a pop-up stated there was an audio driver out of date and that I should install a later one, but as sound was OK I did nothing about it as these pop-ups usually result in a long drawn out scan followed by the requirement to buy the program to "fix" the problem, but in this case maybe there is a real driver problem. None of the bsods have been when audio was needed. The four programs listed were all imported from the previous Windows 7 installation, which worked fine, except that the windows updates would not download/install (except for the Windows 10 upgrade).

Hi,
to be honest i'd remove the lot apart from Malwarebytes anti malware. I run Defender and a full or paid version of Malwarebytes anti malware, too many of these types of apps can start to bog things down. You have one AV suite and basically three anti malware suites so i'd trim things down a little.
If this doesn't get rid of the bsod then follow my suggestions above about the audio driver and post any new updates.

Thanks. I checked for Defender and found it was turned off, but no apparent way of turning it on. I will turn off the AVG and anti-exploit but would like to have defender active.

Thanks. I checked for Defender and found it was turned off, but no apparent way of turning it on. I will turn off the AVG and anti-exploit but would like to have defender active.
You need to uninstall AVG, not just turn it off!
Windows Defender Real-time Protection - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/defender-realtime-protection-on-off#1TC=windows-7
How to Uninstall or Remove AVG Antivirus Free 2015 from your computer? | Techdows

Last edited:
To have Defender active you will need to uninstall your other AV suites. Malwarebytes is fine but apps like AVG, Avira and the like will when installed disable Defender by default.
Any problems post back.

I now have just Defender and Malwarebytes anti-malware free on the computer. Very many thanks for all your help - I will copy all your replies to a file for future reference.

Hi Mike!
your very welcome. If issues continue please post back.

I am having trouble with a new upgrade in that occasionally the computer spontaneously re-boots and produces a blue screen, I tried to run sfc.exe /scannow from the run box but all that happens is a flash over the desktop. I suspect it is because I am not running as administrator. How can I check and if this is the problem how do I temporarily run as administrator.
I had a similar problem, but the difference is that I couldn't start the system... only full diagnostics found the problem and solved it, it was a bug in the software. I think you need the same thing.

I accidentally made another post, but I'll try to help:)

Last edited:
Back