Windows 7 System File Checker

Nisko

I purchased a laptop with Vista installed by the manufacturer and the recovery info on another partition. I've since reformatted the C: drive and installed Windows 7. Now, when I run SFC, it is comparing files (I think) to those in the Recovery partition (which is Vista). How do I set up my system so that, when I run SFC (online), it compares system files to the original W7 files (I have the original W7 disk - Home Premium). I want to get rid of the Recovery partition and make it part of the C: drive. Then I'd like to install the proper files in the Windows directory and have SFC point to those files. I don't know what those files are nor how to point to them and get rid of the pointer that points to the (old) Recovery partition.

SFC /scannow compares Win 7 files. The recovery partition you seem to be referring to, is manufacturer specific. I think the comparing files are in the Windows\Winsxs directory.

But I have no experienced the situation where the recovery partition was still on the drive. When I installed Win 7, I reformatted the entire drive. Of course, I did make an image drive backup prior to doing so.

Someone on the Forum helped me solve the "Stealing Focus" problem. Now I just need to get a solution to the SFC issue. Thanks.

What message do you get when you run the sfc /scannow command from an administrative command window?

Message says that I have a corrupt font and the source font is corrupted too. The font is kalinga.ttf. Naturally SFC thinks the font is corrupt because it's probably looking at an older version from Vista - and the "source" file is Vista also. I don't think knowing what this message says is going to help. Please re-read my post where I ask for directions to run SFC with W7. Thanks.......

Windows File Protection was replaced in Windows Vista with what is called Windows Resource Protection. System Files are now protected with Access Control Lists (ACLs). The concept of source files and source media has changed. Source media and source files are only needed when the file cannot be restored by other means, but no files should be cross-checked with Vista under Windows Resource Protection once Windows 7 is installed. Here is how to find out more detail on what is going on:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Your only cache is at C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup and its not all the files needed for Windows. Its just the ones required for you to get started.

Follow the directions to isolate the SFC errors and take ownership of them using KB929833 above. The Windows Vista recovery partition has nothing to do with Windows 7 and no Microsoft repair utility is based on it in Windows 7. Deleting the partition is as simple as going to Start -> Search -> diskmgmt.msc and deleting it. There, you can perform a number of tasks by right-clicking the appropriate drive(s) and partition(s), but use caution. Careful, as this will almost assuredly not solve your problem. It has nothing to do with Windows Vista. Having a Windows Vista recovery partition on your computer is similar to having one on disc. Nothing more; nothing less.

Thank you very much. I'll work through the information you provided and report back. It may be a while as my health is not good.

OK, the only problem I have is that I don't know how to get a known good copy of the kalinga.ttf file. I suppose it should be on the installation disk - but how would I get it off the disk? Also, why is this so difficult to replace corrupt system files?

Here is some more information about kalinga.ttf

Kalinga.ttf does appear in the WINSXS folder as a Windows Resource Protected file. It is part of the installation manifest.

Kalinga is © 2006 Microsoft Corporation
Filesize: 207 KB (212,356 bytes)
Version: 5.90
MD5 Checksum: f2e58d09825cb28a11ce0fe36c85e51e

(You can use WinMD5Free to compare the checksum)

I suggest searching the entire C drive for this file, with the exact filesize, and checksum data. If you cannot find it, your installation has been compromised. This may sound funny due to a font, but you may have other errors that have yet to appear or that you have not detected.

The easiest way to get it is to just copy it from the fonts folder on another Widows 7 computer if you have access to one.

Back
Top Bottom