Windows 7 System is detecting two displays when it shouldn't

netoxr2000

Well i just got over a bsod problem with my graphics card (AMD 6970m) and when i updated it with the latest driver i noticed that my computer was using 2 displays when i have nothing connected to it. This is very annoying and i dont know how to fix it, using the Windows + P buttons says its on extended but when i try any other options i just get a black screen and have to return to extended. In device manager it says i have 2 Generic PnP Monitor with one located on the AMD HD 6970m and other on the Intel HD Graphics (integrated graphics card).

if it helps when i open Catalyst Control Center i get something like this; when i try to disable desktop 1 i just get a black screen, same if i try to disable desktop 2
ws92tf.png

I don't have an answer but I have a very similar problem. I use dual monitors at my office and have my large monitor set as the Main default and the laptop as secondary. Desktop is extended across both displays. When I work from home with only the laptop, it thinks that both monitors are connected. When it boots up, the laptop screen is black because it thinks there's 2 monitors and it's "displaying" the login screen on that phantom monitor. I know this because I (blindly) performed the login steps and the laptop came up with just the normal wallpaper. I couldn't do anything because any entries I tried displayed the response on the "phantom" monitor. I want Win7 to recognize when I am working with the laptop only and to make that the default monitor. The klugy workaround I found is that before leaving each day, I go into Screen Resolution and force the laptop to be the default and turn off the extend. I think it might be somehow related to the BIOS because I think I updated that before this problem started. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dualmon_dialog.jpg
    dualmon_dialog.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 387
I don't have an answer but I have a very similar problem. I use dual monitors at my office and have my large monitor set as the Main default and the laptop as secondary. Desktop is extended across both displays. When I work from home with only the laptop, it thinks that both monitors are connected. When it boots up, the laptop screen is black because it thinks there's 2 monitors and it's "displaying" the login screen on that phantom monitor. I know this because I (blindly) performed the login steps and the laptop came up with just the normal wallpaper. I couldn't do anything because any entries I tried displayed the response on the "phantom" monitor. I want Win7 to recognize when I am working with the laptop only and to make that the default monitor. The klugy workaround I found is that before leaving each day, I go into Screen Resolution and force the laptop to be the default and turn off the extend. I think it might be somehow related to the BIOS because I think I updated that before this problem started. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

same with me, i get the same options when trying to change the default desktop/resolution from windows options but i just can't turn off the "ghost" monitor

Back
Top Bottom