Windows 7 System Restore Unavailable

ccbob

Premium Supporter
I have been unable to maintain system restore in Windows 7. I run Win 7 Ultimate, both 32 and 64 bit on different machines. Everything starts out OK but after some time if I access system restore I get a message that no restore points have been created and that is the end of that. When I go to system configuration I can create a restore point and it will remain for a few reboots but then i get the same message about none being created again. I tried setting the disk space available to about 10 to 40 GB but that doesn't make a difference. I have the same experience on both 32 and 64 bit systems and had the same exprerience with Windows Vista. If someone could point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it.

You haven't mentioned this so forgive me if I am being simplistic. You have to have system protection on to create restor points automatically.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 523
You must have the shadow copy service and all dependent services running for system restore to work.

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 524
You must have the shadow copy service and all dependent services running for system restore to work.

I did have system restore turned on but I am going to check out the shadow copy service and see what the case is there. Many thanks for your help. I have been wrestling with this for a long time now.

I think the problem may have to do with dual booting. I think that's what I finally figured out when I was dual booting Windows 7 with Vista. I think it has something to do with MRB.
Joe

It isn't a dual boot problem since this system has never been set up to dual boot but I did find that the Shadow Copy was set to manual so I changed it to automatic and things seem to be working now. I will know in the next couple of days if it holds but the Shadow Copy Service is something I had not checked before.

Back
Top Bottom