Windows 7 System shutdown while playing certain games in Win 7

lazydivey

Hello folks I'm having a puzzling problem after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista (clean install). Certain games are now completely shutting down the computer. The games in question are Dragon Age Origins and The Sims 3. Both of these games ran with no problems in Vista but now after about 5 or so minutes of playing my system completely powers off, no blue screens or anything. I've tried reinstalling video drivers and running the games in administrator mode with no changes. I don't think this is a heating issue seeing as my computer ran the games in Vista with no problems. Other games seem to be fine even after long game play and even minimized with other programs running. Any ideas what's going on here? Suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Can you check the event viewer and see whats recorded there... Also since running vista you may have accumulated some more dust bunnies inside your system so it might be worth checking for build up... Another way is to run with the side panel off and if no problems are encountered you know it's heat..
As a long shot, what is your system spec, including PSU ?

I've looked around in the event viewer and there's no errors. The only report is that the previous shutdown was unexpected. There is a graphic card overheating issue from like a week ago. I've already opened up my laptop and cleaned any dust.

There are two strange errors that keeps popping up:
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        atikmdag
Date:          11/16/2009 4:10:50 AM
Event ID:      43029
Task Category: DAL
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Ok-Computer
Description:
Display is not active
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="atikmdag" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">43029</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>42</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-16T09:10:50.180841300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6755</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Ok-Computer</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>00000000010000002A00000015A800C0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          11/16/2009 4:10:58 AM
Event ID:      7026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Ok-Computer
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
sptd
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-16T09:10:58.722135000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6810</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="528" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Ok-Computer</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">
sptd</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I'm not even sure if they are remotely related, my computer skills are somewhat limited.

Thats a graphic driver issue and some solutions can be found here (although for vista many fixes will work for 7)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

When you cleaned the laptop did you use a compressed air can to blow it all out? The amount that can build up is really quite astonishing..

Well after updating to a custom driver the graphics card overheating seems to be the root cause since it's now showing up in the event viewer. Any suggestions to make the graphics card not work overtime and overheat in a laptop? Are there any settings I can look into lowering (I've lowered all the settings in the game) that may cool it down a little? Maybe a cooling pad would help?

I find it weird that it started overheating when I upgraded to windows 7. Thanks for all your help.

Hmm... a cooling pad may help but also check through your power options especially the advanced settings as you might be able to increase fan speed/duration.. I'd also check your bios and see if there are any extra cooling options in there..
Your laptop makers website might also have a bios update which may give improved cooling...

Also see if going back to the driver given on the laptop makers website makes any difference..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If I'm not mistaken the tokamak refers to an ATI card, The nvlddmkm indicates a Nvidia graphics card.

Dids yiu happen to swap video cards?

Well I've upgraded my drivers, cleaned out the laptop, updated the bios and still this is happening but only in certain games. Games like World of Warcraft run fine but any attempt at playing The Sims 3 or Dragon Age will cause a complete shutdown. I guess I will invest in a good cooling plate and see if that helps.

Sorry to hear that... Whats the actual make and model of your lappie?

It's sort of custom built by (much to my regret) cyberpower pc. It's the first and last machine I purchase from them.

Hmm...you've gone round all the vents with a little brush and removed the dust yes?

weird... I wonder if a heatsink has moved or become loose? I don't suppose you have any kind of warranty left on it at all?

I just noticed that there are two strange "unknown base devices" in device manager. I've tried automatically installing drivers for the unknown devices but that seems to not work. I have no idea what they could be or even if they are related to my issue. They are located at PCI bus 6, device 4, function 3 and PCI bus 6, device 4, function 2. Any ideas what they are? They never showed up when I had Vista installed.

Another possible avenue is to try posting in the cyberpower laptop forum?

CyberPower: Laptop Forum

I was checking over the cyberpower site to see if I could find any drivers but I didn't have much success... I did notice that your machine has a 3yr warranty so maybe your still within that time frame?

Service

I have the same problem with Sims 3 in Vista and now in Windows 7. I also have an ATI Radeon video card. I tried to see if there is a fix on AMD's site but the only fix they have they will not support( I don't know why they have the fix in the first place).

Hi, have you tried running the game under compatibility mode?

I also found this thread via google, check the second post down..

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom