Windows 10 Task Bar is too high - Can't widen System Tray

GeoNomad

W10-3-lines.JPG

After a W10 update a few weeks ago, my task bar became 3 lines high and it became impossible to widen the System Tray area.

I have tried various forum suggestions around icon sizing, etc, but nothing helps.

There is plenty of room to widen the system tray area, which would have (in the past) allowed the clock to be one line high and the tray icons to be side by side, but there is no sizing bar as used to appear.

As I keep a row of shortcuts near the bottom of the screen, this is just annoying.

Anyone have any further suggestions? Should there be a sizing bar to the left of the tray, or has that gone with the Dodos for some reason?

TIA
Peter

Hi,
I think the reason why there's no 'sizing bar' is because the Task Bar is too high. If you right click on the Task bar and hit properties you'll see a box appear. Unlock the Task Bar and then place your mouse cursor near the top edge of the Task Bar. You should see the the cursor change in such a way as you can then use it to heighten or lower the Task Bar. If you lower the task bar back down to it's usual position all should return to normal.
I had to draw in the cursor which is why it may look a little odd.. ;)
task bar.jpg

Thank you. I am sure I tried that before but it wouldn't get any smaller. Now it worked. Maybe since a reboot.

Still no bar to adjust the width of the system tray portion, but I see you don't have one either.

Peter

Hi Peter,
I was just about to edit the post re sizing bar as I wasn't really sure what you meant. As you say above I don't have neither have i seen this in win 10.
To customize how that area looks follow my screenshots:
task bar 1.jpg

task bar 2.jpg

Back