NEWS The blind pensioner given a caution for hitting a burglar with his cane !

I'm not blind, but I'm a pensioner with a cane. I've only had to use it once in defense, but I don't flail it like some might do. It's far more effective when thrust tip first, like a ram. I could make it even more effective by swinging the ice cleat on it to the tip, but that really isn't necessary. The time that I did employ it in this manner, I didn't actually have to use it, because the man that was confronting me backed off cursing me, even though he was probably 30+ years younger and far, far bigger and stronger than myself.

I'm not blind, but I'm a pensioner with a cane. I've only had to use it once in defense, but I don't flail it like some might do. It's far more effective when thrust tip first, like a ram. I could make it even more effective by swinging the ice cleat on it to the tip, but that really isn't necessary. The time that I did employ it in this manner, I didn't actually have to use it, because the man that was confronting me backed off cursing me, even though he was probably 30+ years younger and far, far bigger and stronger than myself.

Well done seekermeister. It is a sad world where the young choose to confront the more elderly with the threat of violence. Thankfully it is still rare to hear of such things. :eek:

The sad part is that it happened when a friend and I were walking about 3 blocks to a restaurant downtown for lunch one day. Since I was looking down at the sidewalk, I never saw the antagonist, until he suddenly appeared in my face at about 6 inches, which was too close to use my cane. His intent was to force me to step aside, as though I intentionally was blocking his way. He wouldn't listen to reason, so twice I stopped sheriff cars that were passing by, but they wouldn't help. The last one just said to work it out between ourselves, which seemed extremely inane to me, that he wouldn't intervene between a young giant, and an elderly disabled man.

After about twenty minutes or so, he picked me up and tossed me aside into the grass, but fortunately I landed on my feet, and having the space to do so, I went to my attack position and told him to come on. He started to, but eying my cane, he quickly changed his mind. I saw him again a couple of months later, but didn't recognize him until he apologized. I didn't mean to offend him, but he didn't like when my response was "was that you". That was because that somehow he looked twice as large then as he did at first, but I guess he thought that he should have left an indelible impression.

Back