Windows 7 The good old BSOD

sashk0

Hey guys,

I have recently experienced a couple of visit from our old friend and this comes even after a clean new installation of W7. Strange thing about it is that's not related to using a particular program everytime for flashing the BSOD. I noticed that some of the times was while using the Windows Media Player and once it was when I was listening to some music from the Winamp. Tried the online help and it suggests that could be a wireless driver issue. To say the truth I had my wi-fi router changed last Fri and actually the problems occured ever since. Unfortunately no up-to-date drivers have been found for the specific router model and I'm quite out of ideas on what to do next.

System info as follows:

Code:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version    6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    SASHKOY
System Manufacturer    Acer
System Model    Extensa 5635Z
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4200  @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix V0.3213, 7.5.2009 г.
SMBIOS Version    2.5
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    България
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name    sashkoy\sash
Time Zone    FLE Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    3,00 GB
Total Physical Memory    2,93 GB
Available Physical Memory    2,00 GB
Total Virtual Memory    5,86 GB
Available Virtual Memory    4,84 GB
Page File Space    2,93 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
And a bit more info about the error that gives:

Code:
  [B]-[/B] [B]System[/B]     

[B]-[/B] [B]Provider[/B]     

[  [B]Name[/B]]  Windows Error  Reporting

[B]-[/B] [B]EventID[/B] 1001     

[  [B]Qualifiers[/B]]  0

[B]Level[/B] 4    

[B]Task[/B] 0    

[B]Keywords[/B] 0x80000000000000    

[B]-[/B] [B]TimeCreated[/B]     

[  [B]SystemTime[/B]]  2009-11-24T23:06:44.000000000Z

[B]EventRecordID[/B] 694    

[B]Channel[/B] Application    

[B]Computer[/B] sashkoy    

[B]Security[/B]
    [B]-[/B] [B]EventData[/B]     

X64_0xD1_athrx!tkip_encap+5d    

BlueScreen    

http://oca.microsoft.com/resredir.aspx?sid=13803&Bucket=X64_0xD1_athrx!tkip_encap+5d&ID=76bf87bd-3ecf-4122-b2bc-0a5ce0c0e91f    

C:\Windows\Minidump\112509-17596-01.dmp  C:\Users\sash\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34023-0.sysdata.xml  C:\Users\sash\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA092.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml    

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_07d0b921    

X64_0xD1_athrx!tkip_encap+5d    

112509-17596-01    

Any ideas at all are more than welcome, thanks in advance :)

It seems that the problem got solved from itself i.e. it all came in one place after updating the wifi/network drivers:

Code:
Atheros Communications Inc. - Network - Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
Atheros - Network - Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

Case is closed :)

I don't know how valid this is,. but if it works,. the guy should be selling it"

Firstly, there appears to be many causes of of the black screen issue. The symptoms are very distinctive and troublesome. After starting your Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, W2K, W2K3 or W2K8 PC or server the system appears normal. However, after logging on there is no desktop, task bar, system tray or side bar. Instead you are left with a totally black screen and a single My Computer Explorer window. Even this window might be minimized making it hard to see.

If you have these symptoms you can safely try our free Black Screen Fix. It will fix the most common cause we have seen of this issue. Running the fix program is easy under normal circumstances, simply download with your browser using the link above and run the program. However, if you are trying to do this from the PC which has black screen it is a bit more tricky. In these circumstances follow the procedure below:

1) Restart your PC
2) Logon and wait for the black screen to appear
3) Make sure your PC should be able to connect to the internet (black screen does not appear to affect this)
4)Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously
5) When prompted, Click Start Task Manager
6) In Task Manager Click on the Application Tab
7) Next Click New Task
8) Now enter the command:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe "Link Removed - Invalid URL"

Note this command assumes that you are using internet explorer as your browser, of not substitute your browser path and file details for thos of iexplore.exe or use the Browser option of Task manager to locate it.

9) Click OK and your browser should start up and begin the download process
10) When prompted for the download Click run, the black screen fix program will download and run to automatically fix the issue.
11) Now restart your PC and the black screen problem will hopefully be gone.

I must stress that this tool will not fix all black screen issues. There can be many causes. But if your black screen woes began in the last 2 weeks after a Windows update or after running any security program (including Prevx) to remove malware during this time then this fix will have a high probability of working.

If you Google Black Screen then you will find a whopping 80Million plus results, mostly dominated by people searching for a fix to this problem. Thousands of users have resorted to reloading Windows as a last ditch effort to fix the problem, avoid that at all cost. We hope we can help a good many of you avoid the need to reload.

BTW the cause of this recent crop of Black Screen appears to be a change in the Windows Opertaing Systems lock down of registry keys. This change has the effect of invalidating several key registry entries if they are updated without consideration of the new ACL rules being applied. For reference the rule change does not appear to have been publicised adequatley, if at all, with the recent Windows updates.

In researching this issue we have identified at least 10 different scenarios which will trigger the same black screen conditions. These appear to have been around for years now. But our advice is try our tool first. If it works great. If it doesn't you are no worse off.

Good luck.

Dave Kennerley
Prevx Support

Thanks, Dave. It's all good now, thanks for your post anyway. I hope it would be helpful for any guys that are experiencing the same issue like me. :)

Back
Top Bottom