"The ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll"

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by hg3300, May 26, 2013.

  1. hg3300

    hg3300 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know you already have threads on this subject at least from a few years ago, but I just recently discovered an issue with my desktop PC.

    For some reason, upon startup, I get this message: "The ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll" when Google Talk loads. I have to close out of the window repeatedly at least 5 or 6 times. And when all is said and done, I can't even use Google Talk. Sure, I can see my contacts, but clicking on a name results in the message and a blank box.

    The same is true from Yahoo Messenger, except the message does not show up when clicking on someone's name, but nothing happens so I cannot chat using Yahoo either.

    Skype is a peculiar one. Not sure if it is related to this problem, but when I click on the Home icon, Skype tells me that I am not online. (I can send and receive chats no problem)

    I've already tried replacing the DLLs...not sure if I had the correct files or what but I almost prevented my computer from starting up. I also tried reinstalling Google Talk with no success.

    Please help me fix this! googletalk. skype.
     
  2. hg3300

    hg3300 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    0
    hoping someone will be able to help me out
     
  3. Saltgrass

    Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    15,157
    Likes Received:
    393
    If you feel this is a Windows problem, I would probably run a System File Check to see if anything is incorrect. Open an administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow and let us know if it says it can't repair some files.

    The next step would be up reinstall the drivers for the Network Adapter.

    You might think about turning off the Anti-virus in case it is blocking access to some files.

    I don't run any of the utilities you mention, so I have no experience with your situation. But I did see some references to a IE 8 update, and we did get a couple this month. The thread suggested removing the updates, but it seems like it was related to Vista. The IE updates I have cannot be uninstalled. If you are running a different IE version, you might check the updates for it.
     
  4. hg3300

    hg3300 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    0
    scannow didn't find any problems, and my network adapter already has the latest drivers
     
  5. Saltgrass

    Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    15,157
    Likes Received:
    393
    I wish I could help, but I would only guess that some change was made that changed where the item the utility is looking for.

    If you have not already done so, you might look for software updates for the utilities having the problem. If this is due to some recent change or update, there should be comments in those communities.

    Replacing system files in Windows 7 is not that easy. You might try running the command below in an Administrative command prompt to see if that file is still OK.

    sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\urlmon.dll

    Otherwise, I do not know of a way to repair your situtation.
     
  6. bhutany

    bhutany New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

    To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:


    a.Quit all programs that are running.

    b.Click Start, and then click Run.

    c.Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

    d.When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
     

Share This Page

Loading...