"The windows installer service could not be accessed"

Hi Guys,

There were a batch of updates done on my windows 7 machine this morning, I by mistake thought the updates had jammed (my machine often jams when I shut it down) so I held down power and rebooted.

I am now having serious issues when I seem to run MS Office & Adobe programs.

When I click them to open (via a file/taskbar/start menu) I get the following errror:

"The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I first looked at system restore, but I only had 1 restore point and it was for the past hour which was past the time I performed the updates, if I try manually uninstall each update 1 by 1 I get the same error message above.

I have not found MS articles on remedies for this on Windows 7, but for XP etc MS do have a lot of information, I have followed these steps to try resolve - with no luck:

"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error message when installing application

BTW I have also tried to install windows installer 4.5 redistributable but its not compatible with win 7, I cannot find a download for windows installed 5.0 of which there is mention...

I am really not keen on doing a reformat, can anyone help me with ways to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Matt

Did you try exactly these steps:

(under an administrator account)

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
4. Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

hi, thanks - yes I did.

Once complete, I close cmd and try click on the word icon pinned to my taskbar and the same error comes up...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.